East Sussex Church Monuments - 1530 to 1830 - Archive of Photographs
by Professor Nigel Llewellyn

(119) HAILSHAM, St. Mary the Virgin


119I Mural monument for the WILLARD family, d. 16th century

-  On the Choir, South wall

-  Not measured~Very good

-  White marble tablet, with inscription in Gothic lettering and coat of arms, a chevron between two fish-wheels.

-  The family of Willard, Lords of the Manor of Ersham, since 1341. Amongst many members buried are Christopher Willard, d. 1500; Robert Willard, d. 1528, Nicholas Willard, d. 1543, and William Willard, d 1595. Erected by Lt-Col John Harry Willard on 25 Dec 1839.