(88) EAST HOATHLY, Parish Church
Some Perpendicular details; mostly 1856 - Nairn & Pevsner (496); fabric reported in 1724 to be fine (Ford); there is also an external tablet for Samuel Atkins (d.1742), gardener to Duke of Newcastle.
- Centre of nave floor, far West end.
- 120(W) x 200(L)~Badly worn; pitted.
- Escutcheon and M.I. (5 lines, engraved) in upper 60% of dark grey freestone slab; head to the West.
- Choir, South wall, near West end, at head height.
- 90(W) x 210(H)~Excellent.
- Against a grey baseplate of obelisk shape, an urn, in high relief; below, a cornice over an unframed rectangular M.I.; below that, a base moulding and 2 corbels.
- Rev. Thomas Porter, M.A., rector of East Hoathly and Ripe, d. 30 Sep 1794, aet 74; his wife Mary, d. 1 Aug 1792, aet 67, daughter of Christopher and Mary Coates, of Wensley, Yorkshire; their issue - five of their children died in infancy - Catherine, d. 22 Aug 1753, aet 3; Christopher, d. 18 Dec 1753, infant; Thomas, d. 8 Mar 1760, infant; Elizabeth, d. 8 Jan 1761, aet 4; Thomas, d.14 Sep 1761, infant; surviving children unnamed.