(85) EAST DEAN (East Sussex), St. Simon & St. Jude
Norman; nave lengthened in 1885 & again in 1961 - Nairn & Pevsner (491); for views see BL Add. MS 5671 f.79; 5676 f.75; repairs were needed in 1686 (Ford); the parish had 70 communicants in 1603, see Renshaw (Ecclesiastical Returns).
- Chancel North wall, at head height.
- 90(W) x 196(H)~Very good; stain (top); faded.
- In white, dark grey, pinkish and black marbles; a broken scrolled pediment flanking an urn; beneath, a cornice; in the centre, M.I. (7 lines, engraved, black) in upper 30% of a tablet; pink decorative strips as pilasters; below, a base moulding, pair of corbels with scrollwork between; at foot, black ball finial.
- Nicholas Willard, Gent., d. 8 Feb 1762, aet 60; his wife, Sarah, d. 14 Jul 1761, aet 56.
- Chancel North wall, at head height, to East of 85A.
- 65(W) x 102(H)~Very good; faded.
- In white and column marbles; at top, a broken scrolled pediment flanking an urn; in centre, M.I. (6 lines, engraved, black) fills unframed panel; flanking, coloured strip pilasters; below, 2 square corbels with a concentric decoration and a rounded apron on a ball finial.
- James Dippery, Gent., d. 11 Sep 1791, aet 88.