(71) CROWHURST, St. George
A late 13th-century church in fine condition in 1724 (Ford) largely rebuilt by Teulon in 1794 - Nairn & Pevsner (476-77), Horsfield (Sussex I 434) and views BL Add. MS 5676 f.25-6; 5670 f.32; Crowhurst, St. George was the site of an ancient Pelham manor; 71B-C are from the old church.
- Over North door, behind organ, above head height.
- 55(W) x 95(H)~Very good.
- M.I. (17 lines, engraved, black) on white marble panel of scrolled parchment form, thin black slate baseplate with pointed top; signed (lower right): 'T.SHARP. SC / 50 CONNAUGHT TERRACE / HYDE PARK, LONDON'.
- Anne Hardinge, d. 1819, aet 26; eldest daughter of Thomas Papillon, Esq., of Acrise, Kent and Anne, daughter of Henry Pelham, Esq., of Crowhurst Park; in 1815 she married her husband, Richard Hardinge, Esq., Royal Artillery, brother of 1st Viscount Hardinge; issue (2) Â Henry, Frances Anne.
- On nave floor, against wall, near North door, behind the organ.
- 55(W) x 95(L)~Worn; restored.
- M.I. (6 lines, engraved and black) in upper 50% of a freestone slab; head to East.
- Nave floor, near North door, next to 71B, partly obscured by flooring.
- 82(W) x 179(L)~Very worn.
- M.I. (engraved) on black slab of oolitic freestone; head to East.
- Chancel, South wall, above head height.
- 92(W) x 48(H)~Very good; fading.
- A striking mottled grey rectangular baseplate; M.I. (7 lines, engraved, centred, black, English and Latin) in marble, in the form of a draped cloth with tasselled fringes; signed (lower right): 'HENRY WESTMACOTT LONDON'.
- Jeremiah Dyson, Esq., Junr., of Twickenham, Middlesex, died at Hastings, 6 Jan 1813, aet 31.