(69) CRAWLEY, St. John
For a view of the old church seen in rural isolation from the North-East see Godfrey & Salzman (Pl. 49) (BL Add. MS 5673 f.58); in 1724 it was reported that the condition of the church was poor (Ford) and except for the tower it was thoroughly restored and the North aisle added in 1879-80 - Hannah (SAC 55 4-11) and Nairn & Pevsner (202); Horsfield (Sussex I 263-5) does not cite any post-medieval M.I.s at Crawley.
- Nave, West wall, North of tower arch, above head height.
- 63(W) x 51(H)~Very good.
- M.I. (10 lines, engraved, black) fill an unframed, oval white marble plaque, metal clasp above; tiny stone corbel.
- Robert Gallup, naval officer (East India Company), d. 8 Dec 1815, aet 22; son of Robert and Sarah Gallup, of Poynings, Sussex; his brother, Henry, surgeon, d. 5 Mar 1823, aet 24.
- Nave, South wall, near chancel, high.
- 115(W) x 180(H)~Very good.
- M.I. (engraved, black) on a white marble tablet set portrait-wise; moulded cornice and escutcheon on pointed pediment; decorated corbels; black baseplate with point top; signed (right corbel): 'PATENT WORKS / ESHER ST. WESTMINSTER'.
- John Broadwood, Esq., 6 Oct 1732 - 17 Jul 1812; his wife, Mary, 17 Feb 1752 - 15 Jun 1839; their son, Thomas Broadwood of Holmbush.