(33) BOLNEY, St. Mary Magdalene
Norman and later and North aisle of 1853, Nairn & Pevsner (421); for plan see SNQ (XI 103); for a view from South-West by Grimm, see Godfrey & Salzman (Pl. 24), from BL Add. MS 5672 f.25; in 1714 Anthony Stapley noted that the church had 'just been repaired and beautified', see Turner (SAC 18 153); Horsfield (Sussex I 251) noted that most of the M.I.s were illegible. The flooring has been extensively renewed leaving little original.
- Porch floor.
- 78(W) x 176(L)~Worn.
- M.I. (engraved) in upper 25% of a pale freestone slab; head to North.
- Sanctuary, East end, North corner.
- Slab: 90(W) x 155(L)~Worn.
- M.I. (5 lines, engraved) on a rectangular brass panel; head to East; mounted on a freestone slab.
- John Pellatt, Esq., d. 22 Oct 1625, aet 41, buried 22 or 24 Oct, son and heir apparent to Sir Benjamin Pellatt Knt.
- Sanctuary, East end, South corner.
- Slab: 77(W) x 150(L)~Worn
- M.I. (10 lines, engraved) on a brass cut wider to the East and narrower to the W, head to East; mounted on a freestone slab.
- Anne Berkeley, d. 5 Jan 1601, aet 70; daughter of John Ashburnham, of Ashburnham; her first husband, John Bolney, Esq., of Bolney; her second husband, Thomas Culpeper, Esq., of Wakehurst; her third husband, Henry Berkeley, Esq., lawyer.