(255) TELSCOMBE (VILLAGE), St. Laurence
Nave and chancel Norman, North aisle and chapel added in late 12th century - Nairn & Pevsner (611); VCH (VII 77); a view from North-East, isolated in downland in Godfrey & Salzman (Pl. 160); unpaved North aisle, chancel fine in 1686 (Ford 38); parish had 6 families in 1724 and a population of 89 in 1801.
- Against North wall, near North-East chapel.
- 99(W) x 180(L)~Worn, pitted.
- M.I. (3 lines, engraved) in upper 40% of a blacked up freestone slab; head to North.
- Susanna Povey, d. 13 Dec 1703; daughter of Sir Orn[?] Biron, Bart.; and wife of [Josiah] Povey, clergyman.
- On North wall, North-East corner.
- 110(W) x 210(H)~Very good.
- Above, a black obelisk with scrolled escutcheon; grey-veined cornice over M.I. (8 + 4 lines, engraved, black) filling unframed tablet on grey scrolled brackets; final 4 lines added after 1800.
- Rev. Thomas Higgins, A.M., rector of Telscombe and vicar of Piddinghoe, d. 15 Jun 1787, aet 46; his widow, Elizabeth, d. 30 Jan 1800, aet 64, daughter of Rev. Hugh Colley.
- North wall, North-East corner, East of 258B.
- 87(W) x 144(H)~Sound; faded.
- Above, a grey-veined point pediment; M.I. (10 lines shallow engraved) on white tablet set portrait-wise; yellowish frame; grey-veined base mouldings; curved apron; single corbel.
- Chancel floor, at steps.
- 215(W) x 96(H)~Sound; worn; faded.
- M.I. (9 lines, engraved) fills very long, pale freestone slab, set landscape-wise.
- Nave, South wall, West of chancel arch, at head height.
- 90(W) x 158(H)~Very good.
- Above, urn in relief; below, M.I. fills unframed oval tablet; black baseplate follows contour of whole composition; signed (on corbel): 'A.LAMBERT / Brighton'.
- Thomas Crew, d. 27 Dec 1782, aet 48; his wife, Honnor Elizabeth, d. 30 Apr 1815, aet 74; her second husband, Richard Day, d. 26 Oct 1816, aet 76.