(182) NEWTIMBER, St. John the Evangelist
Very restored nave and chancel (1875); tower (1839) - Nairn & Pevsner (572) and VCH (VII 208); view from North-East, see Godfrey & Salzman (Pl. 117); plan (SNQ 5 183); reported to be fine in 1724 but chancel poor (Ford 138); the high quality mural monuments reflect the presence nearby of the substantial estate.
- North chapel, East wall, above head height.
- 112(W) x 240(H)~Very good; restored; local damage (top).
- M.I. (16 lines, engraved, black) in upper 60% of an unframed white marble tablet, set portrait-wise; grey-veined marble surround; below, escutcheon with decorated frame on curved apron, block corbel; above, pointed pediment breaks forward from the entablature.
- John Newnham, d. 16 Sep 1756, aet 12; fifth son of Nath[aniel] Newnham, Esq. and Sarah.
- Chancel, North wall, at head height over sanctuary rail.
- 65(W) x 148(H)~Excellent; restored.
- M.I. (engraved, black) fills unframed white marble oval plaque; above, escutcheon in scrolled frame; below, an ornamental corbel with volutes; lamp in relief.
- Rev. John Osborne, rector of Newtimber for 30 years, d. 6 May 1774, aet 63, youngest son of Thomas Osborne, Esq.; his wife, Jane, d. 7 Jun 1761, aet 49; John's virtues.
- Tower, South wall, at head height.
- 100(W) x 180(H)~Excellent; rust stains (left); restored.
- M.I. (14 + 4 + 9, engraved, black) on a white marble cartouche; scrolled frame; cherubim upper left and right; above, escutcheon; below, simple corbel.
- Anne Osborne, d. 12 Nov 1706, aet 50; late wife of Thomas Osborne, Esq., d. 10 Jun 1710, aet 63; issue Â Thomas, died an infant; Thomas, d. 30 Sep 1727, aet 51; John, buried 12 May 1736, aet 49; Charles d. 31 Mar 1733, aet 41; also, Elizabeth, widow of Thomas, d. 31 Jul 1735, aet 59.