(1) ALBOURNE, St. Bartholomew
Mainly by Scott 1859, except the chancel - Nairn & Pevsner (395), and see plan in SNQ (5 183); for the earlier church, which was reported in 1724 to be fine, see Gomme (180); there was a dispute over a gallery (Ford 120); no monuments cited in Horsfield (Sussex II 253-5).
- Centre of nave floor, West of chancel arch.
- 35(W) x 12.5(H)~Good; polished.
- A rectangular brass plaque, screwed to floor; M.I. (5 lines, engraved); head to the West.
- Edward Fenner, Gent., d. 21 Jul 1603.
- Centre of chancel floor, West of sanctuary rail.
- 98(W) x 198(L)~Sound: crack across centre.
- Escutcheon, then M.I. (engraved) fill black slab; head to West.
- Rev. Benjamin Hoffman, rector of Albourne and Woodmancote, d. 17 Apr 1711, aet 59; his wife, Anne, daughter of Rev. Robert Blithman, M.A., rector of Eversleigh, Hampshire; their issue - Brandon (already dead), Benjamin, Robert, Anne.
- Chancel, North wall, above head height.
- 86(W) x 66(H)~Very good.
- White on black baseplate; M.I. tablet (5 lines + 3 lines, engraved) in upper 75%; engraved and black border; 2 white corbels with dentils; signed (beneath) 'WILLIAMS. BRIGHTON'.
- Rev. Charles Bridger, M.A., rector of Albourne and Twineham for 28 years, d. 11 Feb 1826, aet 52; his widow, Elizabeth, d. 11 Jan 1849, aet 73.