Bibliography - Transport: Roads
Bibliography Home

Publications

An Actual Survey of the County of Sussex divided into Rapes Hundreds and Deanryes. In which the exact longitude and latitude of all the remarkable places are determined from observation. Also an accurate delineation by admeasurement of the sea-coast, roads and the rivers so far as navigable, by Richard Budgen, published 1723

Some Account of a Roman Road leading from Southampton by Chichester and Arundell, through Sussex and Surrey to London, so far as the same is found in Surrey, by William Bray, F.A.S., published 1789 in Archaeologia; or Miscellaneous Tracts relating to Antiquity (vol. 9, article, pp.96-109)   View Online
Abstract:
Some Account of a Roman Road leading from Southampton by Chichester and Arundell, through Sussex and Surrey to London, so far as the same is found in Surrey

Smith's actual survey of the roads from London to Brighthelmstone … also from London to Worthing, by Charles Smith, published 1800 (27 leaves of plates, London) accessible at: British Library

Attree's Topography of Brighton: and, Picture of the roads, from thence to the metropolis, by H. R. Attree, published 1809 (London Paternosterrow: Longman, Hurst & Co. & printed at Herald Printing Office, Brighton) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries

The Three Grand Routes from Brighton to London, and topography of that fashionable watering place … including every thing worthy of remark in the routes to the metropolis, by Cuckfield, Lewes and Horsham. [With maps and a plate.], published 1815 (viii + 96 pp., Brighton: W. Saunders) accessible at: British Library

Rambles in the Vicinity of Brighton, to Lewes, Eastbourne, Worthing, Bramber, Devil's Dyke, Arundel, etc., with an itinery of the roads, by Charles Wright, published 1818 (112 pp., published by the author) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries

History of Brighton and its environs, from the earliest period to the present time; and picture of the roads by the three principal routes to the Metropolis, by Richard Sicklemore, published 1823 (Brighton: Sicklemore) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries

Some Recollections of a Part of the "Stane Street Causeway" in its Passage through West Sussex, by Peter J. Martin, F.G.S., published 1859 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 11, article, pp.127-146) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2096] & The Keep [LIB/500230] & S.A.S. library   View Online

On some old Acts of Parliament concerning roads in, or connected with, the county of Sussex, by J. G. Dodson, M.P., published 1863 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 15, article, pp.138-147) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2100] & The Keep [LIB/500234] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Paucity of High Roads in Sussex in 1731, by Robert Willis Blencowe, published 1864 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 16, notes & queries, pp.305-307) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2101] & The Keep [LIB/500235] & S.A.S. library   View Online

High Roads in Sussex at the end of the seventeenth and the commencement of the eighteenth centuries, by Rev. Edward Turner, published 1867 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 19, article, pp.153-169) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2104] & The Keep [LIB/500238] & S.A.S. library   View Online

The Roman Road from London to Chichester, by C. Roach Smith, F.S.A., published December 1876 in Journal of the British Archaeological Association (first series, vol 32, issue 4, article, pp.481-489)   View Online

Sussex Roads, by J. L. André, published 1888 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 36, notes & queries, pp.245-246) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2121] & The Keep [LIB/500254] & S.A.S. library   View Online

County of West Sussex: Parish Highways Classification and Report, 1890, by Charles Adcock, published 1890 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3615]

The Brighton Road, by Charles G. Harper, published 1892 accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12420] & West Sussex Libraries   View Online

Brighton and its Coaches. A history of the London and Brighton Road, by William C. A. Blew, M.A., published 1894 (London: John C. Nimmo) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

Traces of an old Road near Towncreep, by Rev. Edward H. R. Tatham, published 1894 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 39, article, pp.164-167) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2124] & The Keep [LIB/500257] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Roman Roads in Britain, by Thomas Codrington, published 1905 (S.P.C.K.) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries

The Hastings Road and the "Happy Springs of Tunbridge", by Charles George Harper, published 1906 (x + 287 pp., London: Chapman & Hall, Ltd.) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries   View Online

The Brighton Road: speed, sport, and history on the classic highway, by Charles George Harper, published 1906 (472 pp., London: Chapman & Hall, Ltd.) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

The Stane Street, a monograph, illustrated by William Hyde, by Hilaire Belloc, published 1913 (London: Constable & Co.)   View Online

Some Roman roads in the South Downs, by A. Hadrian Allcroft, M.A., published 1915 in The Archaeological Journal (vol. 72, article, pp.201-232)   View Online

On Stane Street in its passage over the South Downs, by Eliot Curwen, published 1915 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 57, article, pp.136-148) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2142] & The Keep [LIB/500275] & S.A.S. library   View Online

A Note on Stane Street on Halnaker Hill, by Eliot Curwen, M.A., M.B., B.C., published 1916 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 58, article, pp.132-137) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2143] & The Keep [LIB/500276] & S.A.S. library   View Online

The Topography of Stane Street, by Captain W. A. Grant, published 1922 (London: John Long Ltd.) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries

The Brighton Road: The Classic Highway to the South, by Charles George Harper, published 1922 (3rd revised edition, xv + 272 pp., London: Cecil Palmer) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

The Sussex War Dyke: A Pre-Roman Thoroughfare., by A. Hadrian Allcroft, M.A., published 1922 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 63, article, pp.54-86) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2148] & The Keep [LIB/500281] & S.A.S. library   View Online

The Roman Road, Rowhook (Sussex) to Farley Heath (Surrey), by S.E. Winbolt, published October 1923 in The Antiquaries Journal (vol. 3, issue 4, article, pp.365-368)   View Online
Abstract:
A stretch of about four yards of the Roman Stane Street, or rather the core of it, which I have recently laid bare at Alfoldean, near Slinfold, Sussex, was made up of two layers of biggish slabs of local stone set in sand on top of the local clay. The surface of the Roman road had been used in the make-up of the modern road (1810), but plenty of it is scattered about in the fields, and i t is quite obvious that it was composed of three elements: chert from the lower greensand at Petworth and Fittleworth, flints from the South Downs, and sea-pebbles from the south coast, probably Shoreham. This definite datum, and the knowledge that near Rowhook on the line of the Rowhook-Farley Heath road, as marked on the Ordnance map, was a field traditionally called 'Stone Field', prompted me to test the line for road-metal, after having obtained permission from Mr. Lee Steere, of Ockley, and a series of friendly landowners and farmers.

The Roman road to Portslade, by James Edmund Dunning, published 1925 (165 pp., London: Hatchards) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Earthworks and Celtic Road, Binderton, by Eliot Curwen, M.A., M.B., B.Ch., F.S.A. and E. Cecil Curwen, M.A., M.B., B.Ch., published 1925 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 66, article, pp.163-172) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2151] & The Keep [LIB/500284] & S.A.S. library

The Traditional Roman Road, Rowhook to Portslade , by S. E. Winbolt, M.A., published February 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 1, article, pp.3-5) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Old Roads from the Sussex Coast , by H. E. Malden, published February 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 1, article, pp.7-10) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Old Roads from the Sussex Coast , by L. F. Salzman, F.S.A., published May 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 2, article, pp.33-34) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

The Roman Road, Rowhook to Portslade , by W. D. Peckham, M.A., published May 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 2, note, pp.43-45) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Sussex Roads , by Brig.-Gen. E. G. Godfrey-Faussett, F.S.A., published May 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 2, note, pp.45-47) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Sussex Roads , by R. J. Streatfield, published August 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 3, note, p.77) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Stookilstones, by R. J. Streatfield, published August 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 3, note, p.85) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Stookilstones, by M. S. Holgate, published November 1926 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 4, reply, p.129) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Sussex Turnpike Trusts, by W. Budgen, published February 1927 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 5, note, pp.153-154) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

The Roman Road Between Angmering and Poling , by S. E. Winbolt, M.A., published May 1927 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 6, article, pp.165-166) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Sussex Turnpike Trusts, by F. Bentham Stevens, published May 1927 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 6, reply, p.199) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

The roman Road to Portslade. From the Valley South of Ardingly to Selsfield Common, by S. E. Winbolt, M.A., published February 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 1, article, pp.1-5) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

The Roman Road to Portslade , by Mary S. Holgate, published May 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 2, article, pp.33-38) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

The Angmering Roman Villa and the Brighton Drove Road, by E. C. Curwen, published May 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 2, note, pp.48-50) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

The Roman Road to Portslade. Selsfield Place to Clayton, by S. E. Winbolt, M.A., published August 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 3, article, pp.69-72) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

The Selsfield-Hassocks Roman Road, by S. E. Winbolt, M.A., published November 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 4, article, pp.101-102) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

Motoring in Sussex and Kent, by Mrs Rodolph Stawell, published 1929 (xii + 384 pp., London: Hodder & Stoughton) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12532][Lib 12531] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Along the Roman Road. 1 - Chichester to Gumber, by F. J. Bulstrode, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 7, article, pp.490-496) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

Along the Roman Road. 2 - Bignor Hill and the Villa, by F. J. Bulstrode, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 8, article, pp.549-554) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

Along the Roman Road. 3 - Bignor to Oakwood Hill, by F. J. Bulstrode, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 9, article, pp.653-659) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

Along the Roman Road. 4 - Oakwood Hill to Holmwood, by F. J. Bulstrode, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 10, article, pp.733-736) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

Along the Roman Road. 5 - Holmwood to Thirty Acres Barn, by F. J. Bulstrode, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 11, article, pp.771-774) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

The Old Coach Road, by Muriel Ricardo, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 12, article, p.854) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

Along the Roman Road. 6 - Thirty Acres Barn to London Bridge, by F. J. Bulstrode, published 1929 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. III no. 12, article, pp.860-863) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2307] & The Keep [LIB/500140]

The Newchapel-Selsfield-Hassocks Roman Road, by Ivan D. Margary, M.A., published February 1929 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 5, article, pp.133-135) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

An Old Pack Road at Steyning, by H. C. Evans, published February 1929 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 5, note, p.155) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

The Roman Road from Selsfield to the Coast, by F. Bentham Stevens, F.S.A., published May 1929 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 6, article, pp.167-170) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

The Ancient Bridges of the South of England, by E. Jervoise, published 1930 (xvi + 128 pp., London: Architectural Press) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Review by G. Forrester Scott in Sussex Notes & Queries, November 1930:
Modern road traffic has struck heavily at our ancient bridges: in response to demands for greater strength and width the engineer is dealing destruction to one of the greatest charms of the English highway. M. Jervoise's book is invaluable both as a call to save what remains by timely and conservative repair, and as a record of treasures which may soon succumb to the needs of "progressive" travel. It describes notable bridges in the counties south of the Thames, with the exception of Cornwall and Devon, which are dealt with elsewhere. With the help of the many excellent photographs here reproduced we are able to realise the wealth of fine mediaeval bridges still doing their duty in sound condition and with little alteration from their original design. Among these the examples at Aylesford in Kent, New Bridge on the Upper Thames, Stanton Drew and Wyke Champflower in Somerset, and Coombe-Basset in Wiltshire are especially noteworthy. Of later date, down to the close of the eighteenth century, when brick first made its appearance in bridge-building, are Redbridge on the Test, Pill on the Yeo, Sonning on the Thames and Corsham on the Bristol Avon. Sussex, it must be confessed, makes a poor showing in comparison with some of the western shires. Its streams are neither many nor large, and its bridge-architecture lacks in general the grand manner. There are few instances even approaching the length or the beauty of the noble seven arches at Stopham. The eastern Rother and the Ouse show little of interest, beyond the brick bridges at Robertsbridge and Bodiam, and the stone one at Newenden, built, as a tablet in the parapet records, jointly by the counties of Sussex and Kent in 1706. A stone bridge at Uckfield was destroyed in 1859. In West Sussex several mediaeval or Tudor bridges were rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries, including those at Bramber, Greatham, Houghton and Arundel; there are survivals at Durford, Trotton, Woolbeding Fittleworth and Habin. Stopham is probably not earlier than the middle of the 16th century. Sussex can show few historical records concerning its old bridges, or traces of bequests or pontages. A MS. describing the Arun bridges early in the 17th century has been edited by Mr. Joseph Fowler, M.A., and in the Act of 27 Elizabeth and the Turnpike Act of 1696 there are references to the subject.
While Sussex archaeologists should use all their powers to protect the few fine specimens of ancient work which the county contains, they should not neglect even the humblest. In many cases little bridges over minor streams, picturesque if only of Georgian dullness, have been replaced by hideous contrivances of the County Council in raw concrete or of insolent brick with gas-pipe parapets. Such a book as that before us ought to quicken the inertia of public opinion towards the defence of one of the most characteristic charms of our English landscape.

Roman Roads in Ashdown Forest , by Ivan D. Margary, M.A., published February 1930 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. III no. 1, article, pp.1-5) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8952][Lib 8221] & The Keep [LIB/500205] & S.A.S. library

A new Roman Road to the Coast, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published 1932 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 73, article, pp.33-82) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2158] & The Keep [LIB/500356] & S.A.S. library

The Vetus Pons and the Old Tin Way, by Rev. H. E. B. Arnold, M.A., published 1932 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. VI no. 12, article, pp.782-786) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9325] & The Keep [LIB/500175]

Some recent municipal activities at Brighton, by David Edwards, published 1 August 1932 in Journal of the Royal Sanitary Institute (vol. 53, no. 8, article, pp.411-419)
Discusses sewers, sea defences, roads, town planning,and housing. Written by the Borough Engineer.

Suggestions on the layout of two Roman Roads , by Brig. Gen. E. G. Godfrey-Faussett, published August 1932 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IV no. 3, article, pp.43-45) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2203][Lib 8222][Lib 8861] & The Keep [LIB/500206] & S.A.S. library

A new Roman Road to the Coast, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published 1933 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 74, article, pp.17-44) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2159] & The Keep [LIB/500355] & S.A.S. library

Roman Roads in the Sussex Weald , by Ivan D. Margary, published February 1933 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IV no. 5, article, pp.99-100) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2203][Lib 8222][Lib 8861] & The Keep [LIB/500206] & S.A.S. library

Further Evidence of the Methods of Transporting Produce in Medieval Sussex , by R. A. Pelham, published May 1933 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IV no. 5, article, pp.129-131) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2203][Lib 8222][Lib 8861] & The Keep [LIB/500206] & S.A.S. library

A Roman Road from Barcombe Mills to the West, through Streat and Hassocks, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published 1935 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 76, article, pp.7-34) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2161] & The Keep [LIB/500353] & S.A.S. library

Memories of a Sussex Coaching Man [Richard Hunt], by Marcus Woodward, published 1935 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. IX no. 10, article, pp.616-621) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9330] & The Keep [LIB/500180]

The Croydon-Portslade Roman Road, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published November 1935 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. V no. 8, article, pp.244-246) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2204][Lib 8223][Lib 8862] & The Keep [LIB/500207] & S.A.S. library

Roman Roads in South-East Britain: Romance and Tragedy, by late G. M. Hughes, published 1936 (London: George Allen & Unwin)

The London-Croydon-Portslade Roman Road, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published 1936 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 77, article, pp.27-59) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2162] & The Keep [LIB/500352] & S.A.S. library

Toll Gates in Sussex, by Leonard G. Lane, published 1936 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. X no. 8, article, pp.558-560) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2315][Lib 9331] & The Keep [LIB/500181]

Road Trusts in East Sussex, by James A. Avery-Fowler, published 1936 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. X no. 9, article, pp.596-599) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2315][Lib 9331] & The Keep [LIB/500181]

The Roman Road at Poling, by Frazer Hearne, published February 1936 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VI no. 1, note, p.28) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12537][Lib 8863][Lib 8224] & The Keep [LIB/500208] & S.A.S. library

Turnpike Trusts in East Sussex, by Ernest Straker, F.S.A., published 1937 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. XI no. 7, article, pp.425-427) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2316][Lib 9332] & The Keep [LIB/500182]

The Eastern End of the Ridgeway Between Rye and Uckfield , by W. Maclean Homan, published August 1937 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VI no. 7, article, pp.198-201) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12537][Lib 8863][Lib 8224] & The Keep [LIB/500208] & S.A.S. library

The Barcombe Mills - Buncton Roman Road, by W. D. P. [W. D. Peckham], published August 1937 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VI no. 7, note, pp.218-219) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12537][Lib 8863][Lib 8224] & The Keep [LIB/500208] & S.A.S. library

Essential road conditions governing the safety of modern traffic: Section I. Road Planning, by Thomas Adams, published 1938 in Proceedings of the Institution of Automobile Engineers  (vol. 32, no. 2, article, pp.651-669)
A parkway proposed by the author to be developed in Sussex to provide an approach to Bexhill. The parkway would have shortened the distance to Bexhill by about 4 miles.

A Survey of Sussex Roads in 1719, by H. C. P. Smail and P. S. Benham, published 1938 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. XII no. 5, article, pp.330-339) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2317] & The Keep [LIB/500183]

Transport at Horsham and in Sussex: From 1550 to the Present Day, by William Albery, published 1938 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. XII no. 7, article, pp.444-447; no. 8, pp.531-534; no. 9, pp.583-587; no. 10, pp.674-678) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2317] & The Keep [LIB/500183]

A Stage Coach Ride in Sussex, by J. Scott Pitcher, published 1938 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. XII no. 9, article, pp.588-589) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2317] & The Keep [LIB/500183]

Picts Hill Toll Gate, Horsham, by William Albery, published 1938 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. XII no. 11, article, pp.728-729) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2317] & The Keep [LIB/500183]

An Ancient Road near Ditchling Beacon, by H. S. Toms, published 1938 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. XII no. 12, article, pp.804-806) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2317] & The Keep [LIB/500183]

The London-Croydon-Portslade Roman Road. A Correction, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A. and R. T. Mason, published November 1938 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VII no. 4, note, pp.122-123) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12536][Lib 8864][Lib 2206] & The Keep [LIB/500209] & S.A.S. library

Roman Roads with Small Side Ditches, by Ivan D. Margary, published January 1939 in The Antiquaries Journal (vol. 19 issue 1, article, pp.53-56)   View Online
Abstract:
Roman roads are frequently described as having ditches beside them, but these are usually large hollows of varying depth and width from which material has been scooped to form the agger of the roadway. The ditches discussed here are of quite a different type, and so far only four instances of them are known, though it is very probable that others exist. They are quite small, usually 3-7 ft. wide and a few inches deep; are cut in accurately straight lines parallel with the road and distant from it on each side by a space roughly equal to the width of the actual roadway; and are apparently found only in places where the road is crossing high and fairly level ground.

Excavation of the London - Lewes Road at Holtye, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published 1940 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 81, article, pp.43-54) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2166] & The Keep [LIB/500348] & S.A.S. library

Pack-Horse routes across Ashdown Forest, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published May 1940 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VIII no. 2, article, pp.34-40) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8865][Lib 2207] & The Keep [LIB/500210] & S.A.S. library

Alterations to the London-Lewes Road in the Coaching Era, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published August 1940 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VIII no. 3, article, pp.65-67) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8865][Lib 2207] & The Keep [LIB/500210] & S.A.S. library

Alterations to the London-Lewes Road in the Coaching Era, by G. D. Johnston, published November 1940 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VIII no. 4, reply, p.125) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8865][Lib 2207] & The Keep [LIB/500210] & S.A.S. library

Hardham Causeway, by G. D. Johnston, published November 1942 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IX no. 4, article, pp.83-86) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8227][Lib 2208] & The Keep [LIB/500211] & S.A.S. library

The Storrington - Ball's Hut Road, by G. D. Johnston, published February 1943 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IX no. 5, article, pp.108-109) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8227][Lib 2208] & The Keep [LIB/500211] & S.A.S. library

Hardham Causeway, by S. E. Winbolt, published February 1943 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IX no. 5, note, pp.116-117) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8227][Lib 2208] & The Keep [LIB/500211] & S.A.S. library

Roman Roads with Small Side Ditches, by Ivan D. Margary, published October 1943 in The Antiquaries Journal (vol. 23 issue 3-4, note, pp.157-158)   View Online

The Latter Days of the Alford Bars: Newbridge Turnpike Road , by G. D. Johnston, published November 1944 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. X no. 4, article, pp.86-88) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8228][Lib 2209] & The Keep [LIB/500212] & S.A.S. library

Lewes, Sussex: a solution of its traffic problem, by Walter Godfrey, published 2 February 1945 in Country Life (article, pp.204-205)

The Latter Days of the Alford Bars: Newbridge Turnpike Road , by G. D. Johnston, published February 1945 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. X no. 5, article, pp.103-105) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8228][Lib 2209] & The Keep [LIB/500212] & S.A.S. library

The Latter Days of the Alford Bars: Newbridge Turnpike Road , by G. D. Johnston, published May 1945 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. X no. 6, article, pp.125-127) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8228][Lib 2209] & The Keep [LIB/500212] & S.A.S. library

A Sussex Highway (Lewes to Clayton), by Ruth Cobb, published 1946 (59 pp., London: Epworth Press) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

An Early Trans-Wealden Trackway, by I. D. Margery, published August 1946 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XI no. 3, article, pp.62-64) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8229][Lib 2210] & The Keep [LIB/500213] & S.A.S. library

The Early Development of Tracks and Roads in and near East Grinstead, by Iavn D. Margary, F.S.A., published November 1946 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XI no. 4, article, pp.77-81) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8229][Lib 2210] & The Keep [LIB/500213] & S.A.S. library

The Chichester-Brighton Roman Rad, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published August 1947 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XI no. 7, article, pp.141-146) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8229][Lib 2210] & The Keep [LIB/500213] & S.A.S. library

The Chichester-Brighton Roman Rad, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published November 1947 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XI no. 8, article, pp.161-167) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8229][Lib 2210] & The Keep [LIB/500213] & S.A.S. library

Old Timbered Road-Surface at Bolney, by E. Cecil Curwen, published February 1948 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 1, note, pp.16-17) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Some Evidence as to the date of the Old Timbered Road-Surface at Bolney, by A. W. G. Lowther, F.S.A., published November 1948 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 4, article, pp.73-75) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Alterations to the Horley - Balcombe Road in the Coaching Era, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published February 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 5, article, pp.105-106) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Shimmings Bridge, by G. D. Johnston, published February 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 5, article, pp.107-109) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Stane Street at Bignortail Wood, by I. D. Margery, published May 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 6 & 7, note, p.164) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

The Old Paved Road at Henley Hill, Fernhurst, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published November 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 8, article, pp.169-170) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Crosses Marking Road Accidents, by G. D. J. [G. D. Johnston], published November 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 8, note, p.186) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

A Geographic Study of Roads through the Sussex-Surrey Weald to the Coast, 1700-1900, by Gwendolen J. Fuller, 1950 at University of London (Ph.D. thesis)

The Development of Turnpike Roads in Sussex, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published August 1950 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII no. 3, article, pp.49-53) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

A Roman Road on Bepton Down, by Miss P. A. M. Keef, F.S.A. (Scot.), published August 1950 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII no. 3, article, pp.63-64) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

Cowfold and Henfield Turnpike Roads, by R. Campbell Cooke, County Archivist, published November 1950 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII no. 4, note, p.87) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

Horsham to London Road, by Gordon N. Slyfield, published February 1951 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII no. 5, note, p.114) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

Stane Street at Bakers Hill, Slinfold, by I. D. Margary, published May 1952 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII nos. 9 & 10, note, p.212) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

The Development of Roads in the Surrey-Sussex Weald and Coastlands between 1700 and 1900, by G. Joan Fuller, published 1953 in Transactions and papers of the Institute of British Geographers (No. 19, article, pp.37-49) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506053]   View Online

The development of roads in the Surrey-Sussex Weald and coastlands between 1700 and 1900, by G. Joan Fuller, published 1953 in Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers (No. 19, article, pp.37-49)

Recent Discoveries by the Ordnance Survey of Roman Roads in Sussex, by Ivan D. Margary, published 1953 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 91, article, pp.1-20) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2176] & The Keep [LIB/500338] & S.A.S. library

The Roman Road(s) to Portslade - a postscript, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published May 1953 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII nos. 13 & 14, article, pp.276-277) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

"Stanstrete" and the Charter of 930 A.D., by T. R. Holland, M.A., published May 1954 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 1 & 2, article, pp.22-25) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

Some Mayfield Roads and Bridges, by E. R. Burder, published May 1955 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 5 & 6, article, pp.78-80) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

Three Old Roads to Winchelsea Peninsula, by H. Lovegrove, published May 1956 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 9 & 10, article, pp.162-165) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

The London-Brighton Roman Road, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published May 1957 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 13 & 14, note, p.240) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

The Chichester - Silchester Roman Road, by A. Clarke, published 1958 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8372]

The Roman Road near Bodiam Station, by G. M. Puckle, published November 1960 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XV no. 6, note, pp.206-207) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8233] & The Keep [LIB/500217] & S.A.S. library

The Rotherbridge. I. The Roads & II. Bridges, by G. D. Johnston, published May 1962 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XV no. 9, article, pp.296-303) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8233][Lib 2982] & The Keep [LIB/500217] & S.A.S. library

Loxwood Roads, by Norman C. Smith, published May 1963 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVI no. 1, note, p.26) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8234] & The Keep [LIB/500218] & S.A.S. library

The Old Lewes Road at East Grinstead, by I. D. Margary, published November 1963 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVI no. 2, note, p.62) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8234] & The Keep [LIB/500218] & S.A.S. library

The Southdown Story: a History of Southdown Motor Services Limited 1915 - 1965, published 1965 (pamphlet, Southdown Motor Services) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9759] & The Keep [LIB/506443]

Roman Ways in the Weald, by Ivan D. Margary, M.A., F.S.A. with a Foreward by O. G. S. Crawford, F.S.A., published 1965 (3rd revised edition, 296 pp., London: Phoenix House) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Review by L. F. S. [L. F. Salzman] in Sussex Notes and Queries, November 1965:
It is quite unnecessary to review at length a book which has long been established as a classic, essential to all who are interested in Roman Sussex. But we may congratulate the author, and ourselves, that a third impression has been issued. The more so as this enables Mr. Margary to make a few corrections, mostly confirmations of suggested routes, and to add an account of the road from Chichester to Silchester, unknown at the time of his earlier editions. The skill of the author's diagnoses and the lucidity of his descriptions are admirable. One would like to know how the Roman surveyors started their work; how they knew the exact positions of Silchester to the north-west and London to the north-east. For the first mile or so of the road from the north gate of Chichester is on the true alignment to Silchester, although this was abandoned after Lavant for a wide diversion to avoid unsuitable ground: similarly, Stane Street between Hardham and the border of Surrey is aligned on London Bridge, though the actual course of the Street diverges slightly from the true alignment at either end of this section.

Pevensey-Glynde Roman Road, by I. D. Margary, published November 1966 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVI no. 8, note, p.281) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8234] & The Keep [LIB/500218] & S.A.S. library

The Last Worthing-London Coaches, by M. Douglas, published November 1967 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVI no. 10, article, pp.325-327) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8234] & The Keep [LIB/500218] & S.A.S. library

The Colemans Hatch-Wych Cross Roman Road, by Ivan D. Margary, F.S.A., published November 1967 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVI no. 10, article, pp.330-331) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8234] & The Keep [LIB/500218] & S.A.S. library

The Trolleybuses of Brighton and Hove, by David Kaye and Martin Nimmo, published 1968 (Reading Transport Society)

Roman Roads at Upper Hartfield, by C. F. Tebbutt, published May 1968 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVII no. 1, note, pp.22-23) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8235] & The Keep [LIB/500219] & S.A.S. library

Roads from Arundel to the North, by G. D. Johnston, published November 1968 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XVII no. 2, query, pp.58-60) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8235] & The Keep [LIB/500219] & S.A.S. library

Parking control and pedestrian precincts in Worthing, by E.W. East, published 1971 in Journal of Institution of Municipal Engineers (vol. 98, no. 12, article)

Traffic Routes in Sussex, 1724, by Ivan D. Margary, published 1971 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 109, article, pp.20-23) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2194] & The Keep [LIB/500320] & S.A.S. library

A possible Roman Road to Fishbourne, by C. G. Searle, published December 1972 in Sussex Archæological Society Newsletter (no. 8, article, p.32) accessible at: S.A.S. library   Download PDF

East Sussex Milestones: A Survey, by Brian Austen and John Upton, published December 1972 in Sussex Industrial History (No. 5, article, pp.2-13) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/5] & The Keep [LIB/506524]   Download PDF
Abstract:
No doubt the earliest Sussex milestones were erected during the Roman occupation of Britain but none from the county have come to light, though the probable locations of the 61 milestones flanking Stane Street have been calculated by S.E. Winbolt. Direction posts and milestones were again in use by the 16th and 17th centuries in the adjoining county of Kent, and authority was given in 1697 to the County Justices in Special Highway Session to direct highway surveyors to erect direction posts or stones at cross roads.
Most existing milestones however owe their existence to turnpike trusts. The setting up of milestones was not made mandatory on all trusts until the General Turnpike Act of 1760 but most individual turnpike acts from the early 1740s required the trustees to measure their roads and set up posts, stones or marks every mile beside the road 'denoting the Distance of any one Town or Place from any other Town or Place'! Initially turnpike trusts must have been at considerable expense to place the highway in a satisfactory state of repair and the erection of mileposts was probably looked upon as an unwelcome charge on their funds. Some trusts may have attempted to economise by erecting painted wooden posts. Amongst papers relating to the Flimwell and Hastings trust (1762) there is an estimate dated 13 April 1761 for such wooden posts to cost 12s. each.
Some milestones were erected within towns by municipal authorities where roads were not under the control of turnpike trustees, and private individuals might also be responsible for their erection.
By the last quarter of the 19th century milestones must have been virtually universal on the turnpike roads in Sussex, and the 1st edition of the 6 in. Ordnance Survey maps issued for the county in the late 1870s show this to be so. There were however even at this date a few surprising omissions. No milestones are marked on the line of the Newchapel and Brighton trust (1770) which did not finally expire until 1 November 1884, while the Hodges (Mayfield) to Cuckfield trust (1771) shows a similar lack. With the gradual demise of the turnpike trusts, mostly in the 1870s and 1880s, the maintenance of the roads, and hence the milestones, passed briefly to local highway authorities and then from 1888 to the newly established County Councils.

Roman Roads in Britain, by Ivan D. Margary, M.A., F.S.A. with a Foreward by O. G. S. Crawford, F.S.A., published 1973 (third edition, 550 pp., London: John Baker, ISBN-10: 0212970011 & ISBN-13: 9780212970018) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

McAdam, JL and Lewes to Eastbourne turnpike, by Brian Austin, published 1974 in Transport history (vol. 7, no. 1, article, pp.41-59)

Port's Road, the Ancient Road of Portslade, by Eric W. Holden, published 1976 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 114, shorter notice, pp.323-324) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 6476] & The Keep [LIB/500315] & S.A.S. library

East Sussex Milestones - Further Notes, by Brian Austen and John Upton, published 1976 in Sussex Industrial History (No. 7, article, pp.23-24) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/7] & The Keep [LIB/506524]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Since the publication in 1973 of our survey of East Sussex milestones further information has come to light which has prompted us to assemble this article. For the convenience of readers who may wish to relate the information contained here to the previous article the same basic layout has been adopted.

Route of ignominy, opposition to Pwtworth Bypass proposal, by S.J. Gore, published May 1977 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 105, no. 183, article, pp.380-381)

Suspected Roman road linking the London-Lewes road (Margary 14) with trans-Wealden track VII, by James H. Money, published 1980 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 118, archaeological note, pp.367-369) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7805] & The Keep [LIB/500305] & S.A.S. library

Port's Road, by Eric W. Holden, published 1980 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 118, historical note, p.387) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7805] & The Keep [LIB/500305] & S.A.S. library

The transport contractors of Rye: John Jempson & Son, a chapter in the history of British road haulage, by Theo Barker, published 30 September 1982 (88 pp., London: Athlone Press, ISBN-10: 0485112345 & ISBN-13: 9780485112344) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries

The Proposed Maresfield and Uckfield bypasses: a Fieldwalk Survey including Maresfield Park and Cave, by C. Frederick Tebbutt and A. G. Woodcock, published 1983 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 121, archaeological note, pp.190-193) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8902] & The Keep [LIB/500308] & S.A.S. library

Transportation and Communication, by R. A. Villiers, published March 1983 (contribution no. 7, 2 pp., Warnham Historical Society) accessible at: Warnham Historical Society   Download PDF

Road and Rail in Sussex, by Levan L. L. Griffiths, published 1 September 1983 in Sussex Environment Landscape and Society (pp.235-249, Stroud: Sutton Publishing Ltd., ISBN-10: 0862990459 & ISBN-13: 9780862990459) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8831] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

The Horse Buses of Brighton and Hove, by Adrian Peasgood, published September 1985 (54 pp., Centre for Continuing Education, University of Sussex, ISBN-10: 0904242285 & ISBN-13: 9780904242287) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506071][Lib/502592] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

The Bramber - Beeding Causeway, by Eric W. Holden, published 1986 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 124, historical note, p.263) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9762] & The Keep [LIB/500311] & S.A.S. library

Field Survey of the Pyecombe to Warninglid A23 Extension, West Sussex, by Robin Holgate, published 1987 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 125, archaeological note, pp.226-228) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9994] & The Keep [LIB/500304] & S.A.S. library

The Chichester to Silchester Roman Road at Brook Farm, Stedham-with-Iping, West Sussex, by Robin Holgate, published 1988 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 126, archaeological note, pp.230-231) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10371] & The Keep [LIB/500303] & S.A.S. library

Fieldwalking along the proposed route of the Brighton Bypass, by Ray Hartridge, Robin Holgate and Mrs Robin Kenward, published 1989 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 127, archaeological note, pp.241-243) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10604] & The Keep [LIB/500302] & S.A.S. library

The B.M.R. Gearless Car, by Michael Worthington-William, published 1989 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 19, article, pp.33-36, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506526]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Brighton, along with other seaside towns like Bournemouth and Eastbourne, had more than its fair share of motor manufacturers and home-grown makes over the years.
Just recently David Hurley, showed me some fascinating photos of the Gearless car built by B.M.R. Ltd, (Brighton Motor Repair) at Portslade in 1919. They were provided by Mr F.G. Watts of Sutton, who was employed as a boy by B.M.R. and whose father (previously with coachbuilders Thomas Harrington of Hove) was their coachsmith. Mr Watts' employment as a fitter and turner lasted only from June 1919 until January 1920, and during that period at least twelve Gearless cars were laid down.

A Survey of the Route of the Cuckfield Bypass, by Christopher Butler, published 1990 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 128, archaeological note, pp.249-251) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11106] & The Keep [LIB/500301] & S.A.S. library

Regina v. Storrington: When is a road not a road?, by Joan Ham, published Autumn 1990 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 46, article, p.14) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/46] & The Keep [LIB/500483]

Railway crossings and signalised gyratories: the Crawley experience, by I.W. Routledge, C.P. Randall and Q.M. Thelimann, published 1991 in Traffic Engineering and Control (vol. 32, no. 10, article, pp.463-466)

A Country Garage - Quick's of Handcross, by Frederick Sowrey, published 1991 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 21, article, pp.2-8, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506526]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Over the decades the work of the wheelwright declined, but blacksmithing prospered and it was to the blacksmith that many early motorists turned to fabricate replacements or repairs for their cars. It was a natural starting point for the embryonic motor trade and it was here that Archie Quick came in November 1925 to join the two blacksmiths who were needed to meet local demand. The wheelwrights shop became the garage workshop.

Toucan crossings at Tushmore gyratory, Crawley, by G.B. Taylor and P. J. Wiltshire, published 1992 in Traffic Engineering and Control (vol. 33, no. 6, article)
Looks at the detailed design of the signal installation, roadworks and contract supervision that were required to carry out improvements to the local road network in Crawley town. The area under consideration had the worst record for pedestrian and cyclist accidents in West Sussex, and these improvements were required as a condition for additional construction.

The Results of a watching brief on the A23 Road Improvements between Sayers Common and Newtimber, West Sussex, by Christopher Butler, published 1992 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 130, archaeological note) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11918] & The Keep [LIB/500289] & S.A.S. library

The Toll Roads, by Harry Punch, published April 1992 in Midhurst Magazine (Volume 4 Number 3, article, pp.26-31, Spring 1992) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15967]
Abstract:
Brief history of toll roads and turnpikes and their coming to the area around Midhurst. Includes information about the Toll House at Sheet Bridge.

Pullman Craftsmen: Life in the Pullman Car Company's Preston Park Works, Brighton, by Don Carter, Joe Kent and Geoff Hart, published 1 May 1992 (76 pp., Brighton: QueenSpark Books, ISBN-10: 0904733505 & ISBN-13: 9780904733501) accessible at: The Keep archive of QueenSpark Books & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
This work records the reminiscences of three craftsmen who were employed in the Preston Park Works of the Pullman Car Company during the fifties and sixties. As well as giving the reader a flavour of life in the engineering industry in those times, it also provides a fascinating post-war history of the automobile.
The authors record the rise and fall of the company, from its heyday in 1948 to its decline and ultimate bankruptcy in 1963. In its day, it was a successful and valued company in the Brighton area, and it supported the local economy to a great extent. This knowledgeable account provides a testimony to a craftsmanship of a bygone era!

Tunnelled stage of the Brighton bypass, by J. Hellings, published 1993 in Tunnels and Tunnelling (vol. 25, no. 11, article)
The Southwick Hill Tunnel is a 490-metre twin-bore road tunnel in Shoreham-by-Sea. The tunnel was opened in early 1996 as part of the A27 Brighton bypass.

Iron Age and Roman Littlehampton, by Oliver J. Gilkes, published 1993 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 131, article, pp.1-20) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12210] & The Keep [LIB/500300] & S.A.S. library

London-Lewes Roman Road, by B. K. Herbert, published 1993 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 13, article, pp.14-20, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506560]   Download PDF
Abstract:
At the end of the 1990-91 season of forays, about one mile of the London-Lewes Roman Road was investigated north of the Kent/Sussex county boundary (WIRG, Wealden Iron, 2nd series 12, 1992). This article continues the investigation for another two miles towards Edenbridge. The points of interest along the road are noted in parentheses, and are indicated on the maps, whilst a corresponding list of map references is given at the end of the article.

Chalk away, by G. Smith, published 7 August 1993 in New Civil Engineer (Issue 1049, article, pp.14-15)
This article describes the construction of the Southwick Hill twin tunnel in the Brighton and Hove bypass on the A27 trunk road near the south coast of England. The 490m long horseshoe-shaped twin bores are being cut through the chalk of the South Downs, using two Austrian tunnelling roadheaders and applying the New Austrian Tunnelling Method. On the first tunnel face, extra roof supports were required near the tunnel entrance, because the ground was weaker than expected. This delayed progress until stronger, self-supporting chalk was reached. A second tunnel face was opened later, after completion of a canopy and portal works, but progress was slowed down and alternative excavation techniques were tried, due to the proximity of a housing estate. Alternative equipment used included a hydraulic excavator, equipped with ripper teeth, and a rotary cutter. But their progress was too slow, so that a second Austrian roadheader was then used instead. Alternative mucking systems were evaluated, including using a roadheader to carve out a central trench and hacking out the remainder with excavators. Hydraulic excavators standing on the bench may also be used.

New Light on a Roman Road, by Roger Chatterton-Newman, published October 1993 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 52, article, p.23) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/52] & The Keep [LIB/500483]

London - Lewes Roman Road part 3, by B. K. Herbert, published 1994 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 14, article, pp.5-12, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506561]   Download PDF
Abstract:
This note reports the third foray to re-explore the London-Lewes Roman Road, this time to the south of the Kent/Sussex border.

Ricardo at Shoreham, by Cecil French, published 1995 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 25, article, pp.2-17, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506527]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Bridge Works, the offices and works of Ricardo Consulting Engineers Ltd. at Shoreham-by-Sea has been an international centre for the design, development and research into internal combustion engines for the past seventy five years. Operations started at Shoreham with the opening of the works on 1 or 2 July 1919 under the leadership of Harry, later Sir Harry, Ricardo. He was later to be aptly described as the "High Priest" of the Internal Combustion Engine and he and his team and their successors have built up an enviable reputation for engine design, development and research and for the development and exploitation of leading edge technology in this area.

Fourth Foray on the London-Lewes Roman Road, by B. K. Herbert, published 1995 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 15, article, pp.18-23, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506562]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Work in February 1994 brings up to date four years of retracing the London-Lewes Roman Road described by I. D. Margary in his book, Roman Ways in the Weald. Reference to places on the road are noted by letters in brackets and are marked on the maps, whilst an associated list of map references is given at the end of the article; places situated off these maps have numbers in brackets.

Final Foray on the London-Lewes Roman Road, by B. K. Herbert, published 1995 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 15, article, p.23, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506562]   Download PDF
Abstract:
The March 1994 survey brings to a close the project to re-trace part of the London-Lewes Roman road from south of Edenbridge to Gallypot Street, near Hartfield; the previous forays are listed below. As before, points of interest are noted by letters in brackets and marked on maps copied from Margary's book Roman Ways in the Weald, whilst an associated list of map references is given at the end of the article; places situated off the map have numbers in brackets.

More Light on a Roman Road, by Roger Chatterton-Newman, published October 1996 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 58, article, p.13) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/58] & The Keep [LIB/500484]

A seaside family: David Vaughan tells the story of a Sussex family's road haulage business, by David Vaughan, published 1997 in Vintage Commercial Vehicles (No. 93 & 94, article, pp.34-39)

The Petworth lorry scheme, by P. Guest, K. Huddart, T. Cuthbert, published 1997 in Traffic Engineering and Control (vol. 38, no. 9, article, pp.460-469)
The article describes proposals for removing heavy vehicles from Petworth, a market town in West Sussex. Over the years it has not proved possible to do this by building a bypass. The simplest approach might be to apply bans where vehicles leave the County's Strategic Road Network to travel towards Petworth. It is shown that this ban would affect only 9 per cent of through goods vehicles. The majority of vehicles passing through the town require access to the cell defined by the Strategic Road Network. A local ban depends on creating an alternative network for diverted goods vehicles. The article describes how this can be done much more cheaply than building a bypass for all traffic. As the diversion route would be longer than going through Petworth for most goods vehicles, a mandatory scheme with enforcement is needed. The proposed scheme would allow access by only one of the available routes; on other routes a total ban can be applied. This can be enforced by cameras. Exit from the town is allowed by any route, thus avoiding complications in the narrow streets of the town centre. The project described has progressed in stages. The initial study, which is described in detail, was able to demonstrate that a solution was feasible at moderate cost. This work has been superseded by further work which has both updated the original proposals and carried the development of a solution forward. The full process is described, to illustrate both how the initial solution was developed and subsequently how it proved possible to progress a more modest scheme, once further information was obtained.

The Roman road at Burgess Hill, by Christopher Butler, published 1997 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 135, shorter article, p.301) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13642] & The Keep [LIB/500290] & S.A.S. library

Fieldwork and excavation on the Robertsbridge bypass, 1985, by Mark Gardiner, published 1997 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 135, shorter article, pp.301-308) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13642] & The Keep [LIB/500290] & S.A.S. library

Edwardian Road Transport Networks, by Richard Martin, published April 1997 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 59, article, p.30) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/59] & The Keep [LIB/500484]

The Toll House at Easebourne, by Thea Valentine, published December 1997 in Midhurst Magazine (Volume 10 Number 2, article, pp.18-20, Winter 1997) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15969]
Abstract:
Short account of the Toll House, formerly at the Easebourne Crossroads, and demolished in the 1930s.

Sussex Motoring in the 1920s, by R. L. Burgess, published September 1998 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 13 no. 3, article, p.86) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14880] & The Keep [LIB/508818] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
Advertisements of interest

The Speed of Travel, by William Albery, published October 1998 in Midhurst Magazine (Volume 11 Number 1, article, pp.15-16, Autumn 1998) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15969]
Abstract:
Account of the cost and difficulties of travel in the 1760s, both in Sussex and beyond. From an original article in the Sussex County Magazine 1938.

Edwardian Road Transport Networks: an example from Sussex, Chichester Carriers, 1915, by Richard Martin, published October 1998 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 62, article, p.17) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/62] & The Keep [LIB/500486]

The course of the London to Brighton Roman road south of Burgess Hill, by Glen Shields, published 1999 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 137, article, pp.81-90) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14439] & The Keep [LIB/500291] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Abstract:
A new course for the London to Brighton Roman road in the Hassocks area and through the Clayton Gap is proposed and described. The existence of an unsuspected Roman road passing northward from the Hassocks area towards the ancient iron-working sites at Crawley is suggested, which has implications for a possible Iron Age road in the region, and for the Roman settlement at Ham Farm in Hassocks. The Clayton Gap findings clarify the changes that were made to the London to Brighton stage-coach road there between 1770 and 1818. Some discussion is given of the possible further course of the Roman road from the Clayton Gap to the coast.

Growth of Communications 1720-1840, by John Farrant, published 1 January 1999 in An Historical Atlas of Sussex (pp.78-79, Chichester: Phillimore & Co. Ltd, ISBN-10: 1860771122 & ISBN-13: 9781860771125) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14026][Lib 18777] & The Keep [LIB/501686][LIB/508903] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Growth of Communications 1840-1914, by John Farrant, published 1 January 1999 in An Historical Atlas of Sussex (pp.80-81, Chichester: Phillimore & Co. Ltd, ISBN-10: 1860771122 & ISBN-13: 9781860771125) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14026][Lib 18777] & The Keep [LIB/501686][LIB/508903] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

The Brighton Run, by Lord Montague of Beaulieu, published March 1999 (32 pp., Shire Publications, ISBN-10: 0747800995 & ISBN-13: 9780747800996) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
Every year on the first Sunday in November four hundred pre-1905 cars gather in Hyde Park for the annual Brighton Run, at one time unfortunately known as the Old Crocks Park. It is one of Britain's greatest annual motoring spectacles. Organised by the Royal Automobile Club with the co-operation of the Veteran Car Club, this event is reputedly watched by a million people over the 52 mile (84km) route. Its origins go back to 1896 when the law changed and the light locomotive was at last allowed to travel up to 12 mph (19km/h) and did not have to be preceded by a man walking in front. To celebrate this change in the law the Motor Car Club ran 'The Emancipation Run' from London to Brighton. Revived in 1927, veteran cars have been making this annual pilgrimage ever since - war years and 1947 excepted.

A272, An Ode to a Road, by Pieter and Rita Boogaart, published 30 September 1999 (208 pp., 1st edition, Pallas Athene Arts, ISBN-10: 1873429290 & ISBN-13: 9781873429297) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14123] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
The A272 is the epitome of England, crossing the heartland of the southern Home Counties from Poundford in East Sussex to Winchester. It runs through some of the most beautiful and historical landscapes in the country. Pieter Boogaart travels the length of the A272 exploring, probing, commenting, meeting extraordinary buildings, people, history, and follies. His book covers the road itself, as well as everything of interest ten miles north and ten miles south. It a practical and easy to use guidebook, ideal for any journey, however short, along this beautiful road. Lavishly illustrated in color, this is a book for anyone who loves exploring England, either on the road or from home.

Important archaeological discoveries made during the construction of the A259 Rustington Bypass, 1990, by David R. Rudling and Oliver Gilkes, published 2000 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 138, article, pp.15-28) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14509] & The Keep [LIB/500298] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Abstract:
A watching brief and rescue excavations during the construction of the A259 Rustington Bypass revealed finds and features of the prehistoric and Roman periods. A concentration of Roman remains at the northern end of Penfold Lane was of particular importance. These included a number of Roman quernstones and millstones, nearby undated waterlogged timbers and, given the proximity of a watercourse (the 'Black Ditch'), these may indicate a connection with water milling. This article reports upon the most significant findings.

Roman Roads of Sussex, by Alex Vincent, published 8 July 2000 (96 pp., Midhurst: Middleton Press, ISBN-10: 1901706486 & ISBN-13: 9781901706482) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Coaching Ancestors, by Brian Cutler, published December 2000 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 14 no. 4, article, pp.150-151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14881] & The Keep [LIB/508823] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
Thomas Nathan Boxell, son of Nathan Boxell and Kezia Naomi Blake who married in 1856 at Brighthelmston Registry office, had seven older brothers, two of whom feature in William Blew's book Brighton and its Coaches: the London and Brighton Road as coachmen.

Sussex Street by Street, published 2001 (Autombile Association) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14497]

Downland Settlement and Land-use; the archaeology of the Brighton by-pass, edited by David Rudling, published 2002 (353 pp., London: Archetype) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
This volume builds on a long history of archaeological work in the Brighton area. As a study of settlements, field systems and colluvial sequences, it provides a significant advance in our understanding of the prehistory of the South Downs.

Streets of Brighton, by Glyn Kraemer-Johnson and John Bishop, published 2004 (80 pp., Ian Allan Publishing, ISBN-10: 0711030073 & ISBN-13: 9780711030077) accessible at: British Library & West Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
Brighton, as a population centre, grew rapidly in the 19th century as a result of the boom in the domestic holiday market and with the vastly improved travel connections to London. For the continuing development of Brighton and neighbouring Hove from the late 19th century onwards, the provision of good quality public transport became imperative. Three main operators came to dominate the local scene - the vehicles of Brighton Corporation, Southdown and Brighton, Hove & District. Brighton Corporation had electric trams until 1939, but had already largely switched to trolleybus operation by that date, while both Southdown and BH&D were bus operators. However, the area was to see one of the earliest exercises in jointly operated, revenue sharing routes, with the result that BH&D acquired a small fleet of trolleybuses for use of the Corporation-owned trolleybus system. Both operators were, despite this, to see their trolleybus routes converted to bus operation in 1959/61, as the traffic co-ordination policy was further extended. In their latest joint publishing venture, the authors examine the history of transport in Brighton and Hove in the 30 years after the end of World War 2. Using photographs from their own collections, along with those of other notable transport photographers, the authors have carefully selected over 80 evocative photographs that portray the area's public transport from the familiar backdrop of the Prince Regent's Brighton Pavilion to the sea front and the suburbs.

The London-Portslade Roman road and prehistoric activity at Haywards Heath, by Neil Griffin, Richard James and Chris Butler, published 2004 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 142, shorter article, pp.139-144) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15489] & The Keep [LIB/500360] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Motoring Around Sussex: The First 50 Years, by Tim Harding, published 30 April 2004 (128 pp., The History Press, ISBN-10: 075243263X & ISBN-13: 9780752432632) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506441] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
A history of motoring around Sussex

Streets of Sussex, by Glyn Kraemer-Johnson and John Bishop, published 2005 (80 pp., Ian Allan Publishing, ISBN-10: 0711031355 & ISBN-13: 9780711031357) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
The latest title in the very successful 'Streets of' series. The book is an excellent pictorial record to the changing streetscape of Sussex over the years and covers the entire county of Sussex with particular emphasis on the major centres of population such as Brighton, Hastings, Eastbourne, Uckfield, East Grinstead, Lewes and Bognor Regis.

The Roman roads of the Portslade/Aldrington area in relation to a possible Roman port at Copperas Gap, by Glen Shields, published 2005 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 143, article, pp.135-149) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15610] & The Keep [LIB/500361] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Abstract:
From a re-examination of the possible courses of the London to Brighton Roman road through the South Downs it is concluded that it passed to Copperas Gap, on the Portslade/Aldrington coast. Other proposed Roman roads of the Portslade/Aldrington area are also found to have probably ended there. The existence of a Roman port at Copperas Gap is therefore suggested, and some evidence in support of this is presented, from the pattern of Roman remains about the Gap, and the apparent significance of the locality in Saxon times. The region's Roman roads generally are discussed in the light of the port's existence. The question of whether the area might be important for the Saxon conquest of Sussex is raised. Copperas Gap was also found to be the probable site of the recent lost maritime centre of West Aldrington, and a brief account of this is given, including the observation that it could be the place from which Charles II sailed in his escape to France in 1651.

Turnpike Roads to Chichester, Midhurst & Petworth, by Brian Austen, published 2005 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 35, article, pp.28-39, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506533]   Download PDF
Abstract:
It is intended to record all tollhouses and milestones and any other turnpike structures starting in the west of the county. A hub town will be identified and all turnpike roads serving this place will be examined. A brief history of each of the trusts will be followed by a list of the sites of the tollhouses, and if there are any structures still present these will be described. Surviving milestones will be located and their nature indicated. The first hub city covered in this article is Chichester with the two smaller towns of Midhurst and Petworth also included.

Carriers and Coachmasters: Trade and Travel before the Turnpikes, by Dorian Gerhold, published 30 November 2005 (Chichester: Phillimore & Co., ISBN-10: 1860773273 & ISBN-13: 9781860773273)

Turnpike Roads to Arundel, Worthing and Littlehampton, by Brian Austen, published 2006 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 36, article, pp.12-23, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506534]   Download PDF
Abstract:
The first article in the survey of Turnpike Roads covered, in the main, the Rape of Chichester; this section extends eastwards and includes the southern part of the Rape of Arundel and the south-western part of the Rape of Bramber.

The design and construction of Itford Farm Bridleway Bridge, by Alistair Oliver, published 2007 in Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers -- Bridge Engineering (vol. 160, no. 1, article)
Until recently, users of the South Downs Way National Trail had been finding it increasingly difficult and dangerous to cross the busy A26 trunk road and the provision of a segregated crossing had become increasingly necessary. On behalf of the Highways Agency, InterRoute embarked on the design and construction of a suitable crossing. A structural timber beam or truss bridge was initially investigated but this was later rejected in favour of a structural steel solution with timber cladding. A steel truss superstructure was used for ease, speed and convenience of construction, and timber was used for its aesthetic qualities on most of the visible parts of the bridge. Effort was made, within the constraints of the budget, to design a bridge in harmony with its rural setting, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The chosen configuration, a three-span arrangement with curves in both vertical and horizontal axes, was selected to harmonise with the rolling hills of the Sussex Downland. Until recently, users of the South Downs Way National Trail had been finding it increasingly difficult and dangerous to cross the busy A26 trunk road and the provision of a segregated crossing had become increasingly necessary. On behalf of the Highways Agency, InterRoute embarked on the design and construction of a suitable crossing. A structural timber beam or truss bridge was initially investigated but this was later rejected in favour of a structural steel solution with timber cladding. A steel truss superstructure was used for ease, speed and convenience of construction, and timber was used for its aesthetic qualities on most of the visible parts of the bridge. Effort was made, within the constraints of the budget, to design a bridge in harmony with its rural setting, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The chosen configuration, a three-span arrangement with curves in both vertical and horizontal axes, was selected to harmonise with the rolling hills of the Sussex Downland.

Archaeological investigations on the A27 Polegate Bypass, East Sussex, by Simon Stevens, published 2007 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 145, article, pp.119-135) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15980] & The Keep [LIB/500363] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Abstract:
The remains of a medieval farmstead were excavated following the identification of an area of archaeological interest during a large-scale evaluation of the route of the proposed bypass. A range of features including enclosure ditches, pits and post-holes were recorded. Finds included medieval pottery, animal bone, tile, brick, burnt clay, metalwork, ironworking slag, geological material and glass. Study of the pottery suggests that the site was occupied from the late twelfth/early thirteenth century to the mid-fourteenth century, although a few finds indicate some later activity.
A watching brief was maintained during groundworks for the bypass. Two post-medieval kilns were recorded (reported elsewhere). No further medieval sites were identified.

West Sussex Tollhouse and Milestone Survey - Additional Information, by Brian Austen, published 2007 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 37, article, pp.16-18, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506535]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Articles appeared in Sussex Industrial History vol. 35 (2005) concerning the turnpike roads in the Chichester, Midhurst and Petworth area and in vol. 36 (2006) for the Arundel, Worthing and Littlehampton area. Additional information has now come to light, partly as a result of publication.

The Cowfold and Henfield Turnpike Trust, 1771-1877. Part 1 - The Old Road, by John D. R. Townsend, published 2007 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 37, article, pp.29-39, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506535]   Download PDF
Abstract:
An advertisement in the Sussex Weekly Advertiser of 18 June 1770 announced a meeting on the 26 June at the George in Henfield to consider the establishment of a turnpike road "from the South Downs, through the town of Henfield, over Mockbridge, into the Turnpike-road now leading to Horsham". The road envisaged using existing highways in the main and it was proposed to commence the turnpike at the foot of Seeding Hill where a junction would be made with the Beeding and Horsham Turnpike of 1764. From this point the road would run north to Henfield and Corner House in the parish of Shermanbury, where a short branch to the west would extend to Partridge Green and a further connection would be made with the Seeding to Horsham Trust road. The proposed turnpike would then proceed north again to Cowfold and then northeast across St Leonard's Forest to connect with the newly established (1770) turnpike to Brighton via Cuckfield at Handcross. The next meeting at the King's Arms, Cowfold, on 22 August considered the report of the surveyor and it was now time to prepare the petition to Parliament and the details of the expected bill. It was not until the 13 December 1770 at a meeting at Cowfold that the matter was finally decided.

Turnpike Territory: The Glyndebridge Trust and the Lewes to Eastbourne Turnpikes, by Peter Longstaff-Tyrell, published December 2007 (32 pp., Eastbourne Local History Society, ISBN-10: 0954764730 & ISBN-13: 9780954764739)
Abstract:
A guide to the old coach road from Lewes to Eastbourne

Turnpikes to Horsham, by Brian Austen, published 2008 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 38, article, pp.17-29, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506536]   Download PDF
Abstract:
The history of Turnpike roads to and from Horsham commencing in 1775 with the opening of the Horsham and Epsom Trust

The Cowfold and Henfield Turnpike Trust, 1771-1877. Part 1 - The Branch Road and Later, by John D. R. Townsend, published 2008 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 38, article, pp.30-37, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506536]   Download PDF
Abstract:
When established, the Trust controlled the road from Henfield through Cowfold terminating at Handcross where it made a junction with the Brighton and Cuckfield and West Grinstead Trust which connected north of Crawley with the Reigate Trust and access to London. A short branch from Corner House, Shermanbury, to Partridge Green gave access to the Horsham and Steyning Trust. However, in 1792, the Cowfold and Henfield Trust received powers to extend their road northwards to gain direct access to Horsham. This extension of just over four miles was, from the renewal Act of 1830, administered separately from the main line of the Trust. It was referred to as the 'Branch Road', the original line being distinguished as the 'Old Road'. The Act of 1830 also authorised the construction of a short connecting road from Lower Beeding westwards to meet the Branch Road. Separate minute books and financial accounts were maintained by the Branch and the Old lines.

Turnpike Territory: The Glyndebridge Trust and the Lewes to Eastbourne Turnpikes, by Peter Longstaff-Tyrell, published April 2009 (2nd edition, 40 pp., Eastbourne Local History Society, ISBN-10: 0954764730 & ISBN-13: 9780954764739) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/502683] & Eastbourne Local History Society
Abstract:
A guide to the old coach road from Lewes to Eastbourne

Ridgeway revealed: On the trail of Margary's Greensand Way, by David Millum, published August 2009 in Sussex Past & Present (no. 118, article, p.11, ISSN: 1357-7417) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/500475] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Preview:
Walkers and cyclists crossing the ridgeway between Plumpton and Streat were intrigued by a sudden burst of activity in a beautiful wild flower meadow just to the north of the bridleway earlier this year. An archaeological excavation took place during May to investigate the Roman road that follows the greensand ridge from Barcombe Mills in the east to join Stane Street at Hardham in the west. The project was directed by David Millum, a resident of Plumpton, as part of his MA in Field Archaeology with the Centre of Continuing Education (CCE) at the University of Sussex.

Turnpikes to Steyning, Henfield and Shoreham, by Brian Austen, published 2010 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 40, article, pp.24-39, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506537]   Download PDF
Abstract:
The connection of Horsham to London by turnpike in 1755 made the produce of the area accessible to the growing market of an expanding capital city, increasing not only the prosperity of the farming community but also of the landowners and the region at large.

The London-Brighton Road, 1760-1820, by Fred Inglis, published 21 July 2010 in A Short History of Celebrity (pp.37-73, Princeton University Press, ISBN-10: 0691135622 & ISBN-13: 9780691135625)

Turnpikes to Brighton, by Brian Austen, published 2011 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 41, article, pp.39-59, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/41] & The Keep [LIB/506538]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Turnpike development in the period before 1770 had connected the administrative and commercial towns of the County of Sussex with London. The improved road network also provided the means by which agricultural produce could reach the burgeoning London market, enhancing the rental levels obtained by Sussex landholders. Coastal settlements were not however served by turnpikes, with the exception of Hastings which was connected by 1753, as sea transit could provide routes to other coastal towns and London. Fish was one of the few commodities of the Sussex coast which used roads to reach inland markets including London. This was to change, and Brighton led the way as it developed as a pioneering sea-bathing resort.

Turnpikes to Lewes and Newhaven, by Brian Austen, published 2012 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 42, article, pp.27-43, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/42] & The Keep [LIB/506539]   Download PDF

Geological controls on tunnelling in the chalk of Southwick Hill, Brighton, by Andrew J. Bowden, published 2013 in Quarterly journal of engineering geology and hydrogeology (vol. 46, no. 2, article, pp.203-213)
The Southwick Hill Tunnel is a 490-metre twin-bore road tunnel in Shoreham-by-Sea. The tunnel was opened in early 1996 as part of the A27 Brighton bypass.

The Turnpike through East Grinstead, by M. J. Leppard, published 2013 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 43, article, pp.29-30, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/43] & The Keep [LIB/507840]   Download PDF

East Sussex Turnpikes of the High Weald, by Brian Austen, published 2013 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 43, article, pp.31-47, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/43] & The Keep [LIB/507840]   Download PDF

A272: An Ode to a Road, by Pieter and Rita Boogaart, published 15 November 2013 (272 pp., 4th revised edition, Pallas Athene Arts, ISBN-10: 1843680955 & ISBN-13: 9781843680956) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
A decade-old obsession for Dutchman Pieter Boogaart resulted in a guidebook that looks like no other, to a subject never before fully explored: the A272.
Three continuous texts wind their way through the book, simultaneously exploring the A272 itself and the countryside it passes through; extra commentary is provided in yet another level of text. Hundreds of colour photographs complete this homage to the 'epitome of England'.

Barcombe Mills Toll Rad, by Brian Austen & John Blackwell, published 2014 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 44, article, pp.20-22, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/44] & The Keep [LIB/507922]   Download PDF

Tracing the Roman Road: Geophysics at Cowlease and Bridge Farms, by David Millum, published August 2014 in Sussex Past & Present (no. 133, article, pp.4-5, ISSN: 1357-7417) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/507923] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Preview:
Culver Archaeological Project (CAP) organised a series of geophysical surveys in the late summer of 2013 using the magnetometer (MAG) kindly lent to the project by AOC Archaeology. Various volunteers from the summer kindly turned out in all weather conditions to help lay out the grids and lines and some were even able to take control of the MAG, although this did mean getting metal free which was often far harder than it seemed.

The Coach Roads to Brighton, by Geoffrey Hewlett, published 31 October 2014 (242 pp., Pen Press, ISBN-10: 1780037759 & ISBN-13: 9781780037752) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
Before motorways and bypasses, before the advent of cars and even trains, horse-drawn vehicles carried the British people all around the country. From pedlars to clerks to the Prince Regent himself, the old coach roads led the way, and while the coach traveller certainly made their journey in less comfort than today's car passenger, they also felt the benefits of a less altered landscape, the sound of birdsong and the scent of the breeze. Based on the author's detailed study of the coach roads and his own experiences of walking the length of each of them in turn, The Coach Roads to Brighton details the histories of each of the old routes from London to the coastal town of Brighton, telling the stories of the people, horses and vehicles that used them and the often shocking, inspiring and humorous anecdotes from the days when bridles chinked and carriage wheels raised dust as Regency England followed its prince to the seaside.

The Ridge: The Evolution of an Ancient Hastings Highway, by Stephanie Rearden, published 4 December 2014 (109 pp., Old Hastings Presrvation Society, ISBN-10: 0992985617 & ISBN-13: 9780992985615) accessible at: Old Hastings Prervation Society & British Library & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
One of the oldest trackways in Hastings and St Leonards, the Ridge would have been used by William the Conqueror on his way to the battle field of Senlac. The track developed with grand Victorian villas and the spread of urbanisation. Sadly today the imposing Victorian architecture has nearly all been replaced by modern blocks of flats and apartments. This book tells that story.

Southdown at War, by Colin Druce, published 20 March 2015 (216 pp., Capital Transport Publishing, ISBN-10: 1854143859 & ISBN-13: 9781854143853) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries