Bibliography - Petworth House and Park, Petworth, West Sussex
Bibliography Home



Parish of Petworth, by Thomas Walker Horsfield, published 1835 in The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex (vol. II, rape of Arundel, pp.174-180) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2397][Lib 3212] & The Keep [LIB/507380][Lib/500088] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Catalogue of Pictures in Petworth House, Sussex, published 1856 (94 pp., London: Woodfall and Kinder) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12024]   View Online

Petworth, by Roger Turner, M.D., published 1862 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 14, article, pp.1-24) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2099] & The Keep [LIB/500233] & S.A.S. library   View Online

The Chaucer MS. at Petworth House, by Roger Turner, M.D., published 1863 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 15, notes & queries, pp.234-235) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2100] & The Keep [LIB/500234] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Petworth: A Sketch of its History and Antiquities, with notices of objects of archaeological interest, by Rev. F. H. Arnold, M.A., published 1864 (Petworth: A. J. Bryant) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3285]   View Online

Petworth, by Mark Antony Lower, M.A., published 1870 in A Compendious History of Sussex, Topographical, Archaeological & Anecdotal (vol. II, pp.82-89, Lewes: George P. Bacon) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8946][Lib 3315] & The Keep [LIB/500158]   View Online

The Ayres Ceiling, Petworth, by Rev. Frederick Henry Arnold, published 1872 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 24, article, pp.115-119) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2109] & The Keep [LIB/500242] & S.A.S. library   View Online

A Survey of the Honor and Manor of Petworth and other the Manors in the County of Sussex, forming part of the settled estates of the Rt Hon Henry Baron Leconfield, made in the years 1879-1882, by Charles James Daintrey, Steward, published c.1882 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5377]

Petworth, by E. V. Lucas with illustrations by Frederick L. Griggs, published 1904 in Highways and Byways in Sussex (Chapter X, London: Macmillan & Co.) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 41][Lib 12792][Lib 15825] & The Keep [LIB/500142]   View Online

Petworth House, the seat of Lord Leconfield, by Country Life contributor(s), published 7 December 1907 in Country Life (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3426]

The Greek Inscriptions at Petworth House, by Caroline Amy Hutton, published 1916 in Annual of the British School at Athens (vol. 21, article, pp.155-165)

A Petworth Posie. Arranged by Lady Leconfield with selections from various authors, compiled by Beatrice Violet Wyndham, published 1918 (pamphlet, 36 pp., published by the author) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12475] & West Sussex Libraries
Arranged for the Petworth Park Fete, 5th August, 1918, in aid of the Sussex County Prisoners of War Fund. 36 pages with contributions by Rudyard Kipling, Wilfrid Scawen Blunt, Hilaire Belloc, Alice Meynell, Francis Thompson, E.V.Lucas, Francis William Bourdillon. Also 'Shelley at Field Place',' Keats at Chichester' and 'Turner at Petworth'.

Catalogue of the Petworth Collection of Pictures in the Possession of Lord Leconfield, by C. H. Collins Baker, published 1920 (Medici Society) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3205] & West Sussex Libraries

Petworth House (1), by Christopher Hussey, published 28 November 1925 in Country Life (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3436][Lib 6468]

Petworth House (2), by Christopher Hussey, published 5 December 1925 in Country Life (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3436][Lib 6468]

Petworth House (3), by Christopher Hussey, published 12 December 1925 in Country Life (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3436][Lib 6468]

Petworth House (4), by Christopher Hussey, published 19 December 1925 in Country Life (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3436][Lib 6468]

Petworth House, Sussex. The Seat of Lord Leconfield, by Christopher Hussey, published 1926 in Country Life (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3436][Lib 6468] & R.I.B.A. Library

The Petworth Manuscript of 'Grace Dieu' or ?The Pilgrimage of the Soul', by V.H. Paltsits, published 1928 in Bulletin of New York Public Library (vol. 32, article, pp.715-720)

The Rise of Thomas Sockett, by Kenneth Povey, published 1928 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. II no. 1, article, pp.38-40) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9327] & The Keep [LIB/500138]

Sussex Hunts No 4. Lord Leconfield's, by S.C.M. Contributor(s), published 1928 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. II no. 4, article, pp.157-160) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9327] & The Keep [LIB/500138]

A Commonwealth Tax Assessment: Ebernoe, Petworth , by C. R. Haines, M.A., B.D., F.S.A., published February 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 1, note, pp.19-20) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

Manuscripts from Petworth, by A.J. Collins, published September 1928 in British Museum Quarterly (vol. 3, no. 2, article, pp.57-58)

A Percy Heiress: A Page of Petworth History, by P. D. Mundy, published 1930 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. IV no. 7, article, pp.559-562) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2308][Lib 2309] & The Keep [LIB/500173]

Sussex and the U.S.A. 6 - Sussex and the Hon. George Percy, adventurer to Virginia, by David McLean, published 1930 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. IV no. 7, article, pp.602-608; no. 8, pp.650-654) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2308][Lib 2309] & The Keep [LIB/500173]

Historic Houses of Sussex - Petworth House, by Viscountess Wolseley, published 1930 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. IV no. 11, article, pp.903-910) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2308][Lib 2309] & The Keep [LIB/500173]

A Greek Inscription at Petworth, by W. H. Buckler, published 1931 (offprint) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5277]

The Petworth Le Nain, by S. Kennedy North, published 1931 in Burlington Magazine (vol. 58, no. 339, article, pp.277-279)

Historic Houses of Sussex - Tudor House, Petworth, by Viscountess Wolseley, published 1935 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. IX no. 12, article, pp.741-745) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9330] & The Keep [LIB/500180]

Petworth House, Sussex, by C. Hussey, published 7 March 1947 in Country Life (article, pp.422-425) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library

The 6th Duke of Somerset's Account Book, 1684-6, by S.N.Q. Contributor, published February 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 5, article, pp.97-101) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

The 6th Duke of Somerset's Account Book, 1684-6, by S.N.Q. Contributor, published May 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 6 & 7, article, pp.134-136) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

A newly-discovered Molyneux Globe, by Helen M. Wallis, published 1952 in Imago Mundi (vol. 9, article, pp.78-78)
Emery Molyneux, an English globemaker. Dated 1592, found at Petworth House.

Petworth House, by Robin Fedden, published 1953 (pamphlet, National Trust) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11718]

Petworth Manor in the Seventeenth Century, by Lord Leconfield, published 1954 (Oxford: Geoffrey Cumberlege) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2812] & West Sussex Libraries
Review by L. F. S. [L. F. Salzman] in Sussex Notes and Queries, November 1954.:
The manorial muniments of Petworth for the seventeenth century are remarkably complete, and include a terrier and a great map of 1610. It is largely round this map, reproduced in a series of sectional drawings, that Lord Leconfield has built his book. He has taken the reader on a personally conducted tour round the demesnes, the parks, the copyholds, and finally the town, pointing out the position and history of the various tenements - amongst which we meet such pleasant names as Robin Hood's Garden, Widow Magicke's Laces, and Belchambers Garlands. From the map is reproduced the interesting drawing of the old Petworth House, of which nothing survives in the present building except the chapel and the medieval cellar. This house had water laid on to its offices from the public piped supply, of which Lord Leconfield traces the history from its instalments by a rector about 1500, down to its re-organisation in 1782 by the Earl of Egremont. There are sections on the iron works and the mills; and the first two chapters show very clearly the actual working of the manorial system at this period. The author points out that 'the seventeenth century witnessed a rash of mortgaging.' This is true of other places than Petworth, but it may be doubted if elsewhere it would be possible to draw up such a list as is given on p. 13 of the mortgagees arranged under their respective trades; it is a subject worth wider study. Is the assertion (also on p. 13) correct that a condition of a widow obtaining her 'free bench' was that she should have been a spinster when she married? I do not think that this was a normal requirement. A very small point: on p. 67 reference to land 'purchased of Person Dyrig ' is followed by the author's comment that this 'would appear to mean a person named Derrick.' But it must mean 'Parson Derrick' and probably refers to William Derrick who was presented to the vicarage of Chidham in 1579 and held that living until his death in 1625. The book has a full index, and is produced with the usual excellence of the Oxford University Press.

The Percies at Petworth, 1574-1632, by Gordon Batho, published 1957 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 95, article, pp.1-27) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2180] & The Keep [LIB/500334] & S.A.S. library

The Minute Book of the Petworth Turnpike Trustees, 1757-1801, by Hugh Archibald Wyndham, F.S.A., 4th Baron Leconfield, published 1957 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 95, article, pp.105-115) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2180] & The Keep [LIB/500334] & S.A.S. library

Notes and Documents on Petworth House 1574-1632, by Gordon Batho, published 1958 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 96, article, pp.108-134) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2181] & The Keep [LIB/500333] & S.A.S. library

Petworth House, published 1960 (pamphlet, The National Trust) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12959]

Further notes on shepherds' staves, by Francis W. Steer, published 1965 in Agricultural History Review (vol. 13, no. 1, article, pp.47-49)   Download PDF
Concerns Bignor Park and Petworth, for which house John Flaxman had in 1825 made a sculpture of Apollo holding a stave.

On the cover: music party at Petworth, by Donna M. Stein, published 1966 in Music Educators Journal (vol. 53, no. 2, article, pp.30-31)

Papers at Petworth House, by Alf MacLochlainn, published 1966 in Analecta Hibernica (vol. 23, article, pp.303-305)
Library and estate items of Irish interest.

Petworth House, by Robin Fedden, published 1968 (pamphlet, National Trust) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4719]

The Petworth House Archives. Volume I. A Catalogue, edited by Francis W. Steer and Noel H. Osborne, published 1968 (207 pp. & 2 B/W plates, Chichester: West Sussex County Council) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5608] & The Keep [LIB/501882] & West Sussex Libraries

Petworth Park in Danger, by Marcus Binney, published 1973 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7936/p620-621]

Petworth House, by Gervase Jackson-Stops and Robin Fedden, published 1973 (National Trust) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

Petworth and the Proud Duke, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published 28 June 1973 in Country Life (vol. 153 no. 3966, article, pp.1870-1874) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library

Petworth Park in danger, by Marcus Binney, published 6 September 1973 in Country Life (vol. 154 no. 3976, article, pp.620-621) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library

A Collection of Elizabethan and Jacobean Plays at Petworth, by Edward Miller, published 1975 in National Trust Year Book (vol. 76, article, pp.62-64)

Wilderness to pleasure ground: a new threat to Petworth Park, Sussex, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published 26 June 1975 in Country Life (vol. 157 no. 4069, article, pp.1686-1687) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5976] & R.I.B.A. Library

Petworth House, by Gervase Jackson-Stops and Robin Fedden, published 1976 (National Trust) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

The Gardens and Park, by Dorothy Stroud, published May 1977 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 105, no. 183, article, pp.334-339)

The Building of Petworth, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published May 1977 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 105, no. 183, article, pp.324-333) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library

The ancient marbles at Petworth, by Cornelius Vermeule, published May 1977 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 105, no. 183, article, pp.340-345)

The Furniture of Petworth, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published May 1977 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 105, no. 183, article, p.358)

Petworth House, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published 1978 (pamphlet, National Trust) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 6724] & West Sussex Libraries

Petworth House in Sussex: illustrious seat of an English family, by E. Dickson, published 1978 in Architectural Digest (vol. 35, no. 9, article, pp.178-184)

The Petworth House Archives. Volume II. A Catalogue, by Alison McCann, published 1979 (Chichester: West Sussex County Council) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7307][Lib 13478] & West Sussex Libraries

Great Carvings for a Connoisseur: Picture Frames at Petworth, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published 1980 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7513]

Petworth House and the Formal Gardens, by Frederick G. Aldsworth, published 1980 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 118, shorter notice, pp.373-377) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7805] & The Keep [LIB/500305] & S.A.S. library

"An Undoubted Jewel": a case study of five Sussex country houses, 1880-1914, by P. Blackwell, published 1981 in Southern History (vol. 3, article, pp.183-200)
The five houses are Petworth House, Goodwood House, Brickwall [in Northiam], Ashburnham Place, and Coombe Place [in Hamsey].

The Egremont plate at Petworth House, by Myrtle Ellis, published 1981 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 113, no. 230, article, pp.240-243)

Ars longa, vita brevis: the Watteau study and Lord Percy by J.M.W. Turner, by Gerald Finley, published 1981 in Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes (vol. 44, article, pp.241-247)
Petworth House.

A Tradition Kept Alive at Petworth House, by Geoffrey Barlow, published 1983 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8797]

Extracts from 18th century London newspapers and Petworth House Archives, by H. Valpy, published 1983 in Trans English Ceramic Circle (vol. 11, article, pp.187-211)

A private laboratory at Petworth House, Sussex, in the late eighteenth century, by Alison McCann, published 1983 in Annals of Science (vol. 40, issue 6, article, pp.635-655) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8583/p635-655]
Documentary evidence has recently been discovered in the Archives at Petworth House, West Sussex, for the setting up of a laboratory in the House at the end of the eighteenth century. This paper gives details of those involved in the setting up of the laboratory, and of their other scientific and cultural interests. The accounts from the suppliers of the laboratory equipment are transcribed, and a brief description given of the many pieces of equipment from the laboratory that still survive at Petworth House.

Petworth House Ice-House, by R. G. Martin, published 1983 in Sussex Industrial History (No. 13, article, pp.15-21) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506525]   Download PDF
Ice-Houses and Ice-Wells were a common feature in large country estates in the 18th and 19th centuries. Ice was collected from convenient stretches of water and was stacked in the chamber often packed in straw. The ice was used throughout the year in the kitchens for cooling and preservation. During the second half of the 19th century ice was imported from Scandinavia or manufactured locally. Most domestic Ice-Houses were comparatively small with a single sunken circular chamber 2½ - 3 m (8ft - 10ft) in diameter and about 3 m (10 ft) deep, with a domed roof. Loading was normally through a hatch in the roof and the ice was removed through a horizontal tunnel with double doors. Melt water was discharged through a drain from the lowest part of the base. They were built mainly below ground or into the side of a bank and were covered with earth to increase insulation.

Petworth House, by Gervase Jackson-Stops, published 1984 (revised edition, National Trust)

Man's Estates: Adam Nicolson's personal perspective on three Sussex parks [Petworth, Goodwood, Parham], by Adam Nicholson, published 1987 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9966]

The interior at Petworth, by Robert Hahn, published 1989 in Iowa Review (vol. 19, no. 1, article, pp.83-84)

Old Masters at Petworth, by St John Gore, published 1989 in Studies in the History of Art (vol. 25, article, pp.121-131)
Symposium Papers X: The Fashioning and Functioning of the British Country House. Background to inventories recording acquisitions.

Turner at Petworth: Painter and Patron, by Martin Butlin, Ian Warrell and Mollie Luther, published 31 October 1989 (300 pp., Tate Publishing, ISBN-10: 1854370049 & ISBN-13: 9781854370044) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10515] & West Sussex Libraries

Haupt at Petworth, by Charles Cator, published 1993 in Furniture History (vol. 29, article, pp.72-79)
Georg Haupt (1741-84), a Swedish furniture maker.

Petworth House, Sussex, by Michael Hall, published 10 June 1993 in Country Life (vol. 187 no. 23, article, pp.128-133) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library
A look at the refurbished house and how the collections of paintings and sculpture have been returned to the way they were displayed in the lifetime of the 3rd Earl of Egremont.

The North Gallery at Petworth: an historical re-appraisal, by Christopher Rowell, published July 1993 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 138, no. 377, article, pp.29-36) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12030] & R.I.B.A. Library

Petworth, by Hugh Montgomery-Massingberd and Christopher Simon Sykes, published 10 October 1994 in Great Houses of England & Wales (article, pp.260-274, Laurence King, ISBN-10: 1856690539 & ISBN-13: 9781856690539) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

Petworth: The Servant's Quarters, by Diana Owen, published 1997 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13413]

Petworth House, compiled by Christopher Rowell, published 1997 (pamphlet, 96 pp., National Trust, ISBN-10: 1843590263 & ISBN-13: 9781843590262) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13573] & West Sussex Libraries
A National Trust guidebook covering history, horticulture, garden history, history of art, architecture, social history, natural environment and conservation.

Conservation of the Victorian kitchen at Petworth House, by Tim Martin, published 1997 in Scottish Society for Conservation and Restoration Journal (vol. 8, no. 4, article, pp.13-16)

The Petworth lorry scheme, by P. Guest, K. Huddart, T. Cuthbert, published 1997 in Traffic Engineering and Control (vol. 38, no. 9, article, pp.460-469)
The article describes proposals for removing heavy vehicles from Petworth, a market town in West Sussex. Over the years it has not proved possible to do this by building a bypass. The simplest approach might be to apply bans where vehicles leave the County's Strategic Road Network to travel towards Petworth. It is shown that this ban would affect only 9 per cent of through goods vehicles. The majority of vehicles passing through the town require access to the cell defined by the Strategic Road Network. A local ban depends on creating an alternative network for diverted goods vehicles. The article describes how this can be done much more cheaply than building a bypass for all traffic. As the diversion route would be longer than going through Petworth for most goods vehicles, a mandatory scheme with enforcement is needed. The proposed scheme would allow access by only one of the available routes; on other routes a total ban can be applied. This can be enforced by cameras. Exit from the town is allowed by any route, thus avoiding complications in the narrow streets of the town centre. The project described has progressed in stages. The initial study, which is described in detail, was able to demonstrate that a solution was feasible at moderate cost. This work has been superseded by further work which has both updated the original proposals and carried the development of a solution forward. The full process is described, to illustrate both how the initial solution was developed and subsequently how it proved possible to progress a more modest scheme, once further information was obtained.

Petworth Servant's Quarters, published 1 March 1997 (24 pp., National Trust, ISBN-10: 1843591316 & ISBN-13: 9781843591313)

The Petworth House Archives. Volume III. A Catalogue, by Alison McCann, published 1 July 1997 (222 pp., Chichester: West Sussex County Council, ISBN-10: 0862603986 & ISBN-13: 9780862603984) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13477] & West Sussex Libraries

The History of Petworth Park, by Alison McCann, published 1 January 1999 in An Historical Atlas of Sussex (pp.100-101, Chichester: Phillimore & Co. Ltd, ISBN-10: 1860771122 & ISBN-13: 9781860771125) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14026][Lib 18777] & The Keep [LIB/501686][LIB/508903] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

A Catalogue of Books from the Library of the Ninth Earl of Northumberland at Petworth House, by Gordon Batho, published c.2000 accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5273]

Classical sculpture and the English interior, 1640-1840: purpose and meaning, by Ruth A. Guilding, 2000 at Bristol University (Ph.D. thesis)
The 2nd Earl of Arundel was the first English collector to imitate directly Italian Renaissance collections, creating sculpture displays in Arundel House and its gardens in the 1640s which became famous throughout Europe . Translated into the quasi-domestic context, classical sculpture represented the veneration of the cultural and political mores of ancient Rome and Greece, the props and justification of political power, but could also be portrayed as an inspirational 'body of history' augmenting civic culture, as 'national treasure' and exemplars for the improvement of the arts, carrying the onus of granting opportunities for their public consumption . Arundel's displays were piously recreated, at Wilton House, Easton Neston and the University of Oxford, but subsequent collectors adopted the Palladian format, based on Roman architectural vocabulary, as the convention for display until c.1760 . Dependent on symmetry and niche architecture, Palladian displays required full-length statues, or copies and casts of the best works in the antique canon. Outside the context of the 'atrium'/entrance hall. where busts and statues could stand as putative ancestors, sculpture continued to hold the same resonances, but in these controlled and formalised settings its significance could be diminished to that of grand furniture. The more intensive antiquarianism of the Enlightenment gradually eclipsed such resonances. From the 1760s, tastes broadened to encompass the works of Piranesi, inscriptions, funerary sculpture, and non-classical antiquities, placed in 'Museum' room displays . In the last full-blown aristocratic galleries, at Castle Howard, Woburn, Petworth and Chatsworth, between 1800-c.1840, marble antiquities were juxtaposed with modern sculpture, to convey a political message, or as antique exemplars. The cachet of ownership increased: Charles Townley's reputation was entirely vested in his antique marbles; his housemuseum at Park Street acquired a quasi-public status, becoming the model for the first public sculpture galleries, when his marbles were bought by the British Museum.

Grinling Gibbons's carved room at Petworth: `The most superb monument of his skill', by C. Rowell, published 2000 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 151, issue 458, article, pp.19-26)

The 2nd Earl of Egremont's sculpture gallery at Petworth: a plan by Charles Townley, by Ruth Guilding, published 2000 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 151, issue 458, article, pp.27-29)

Petworth House, west stable range: lime ash flooring, by Francis Maude, published 2001 in Journal of the Building Limes Forum (vol. 8, article)

Lord Egremont and Flaxman's "St Michael overcoming Satan', by Philip McEvansoneya, published June 2001 in Burlington Magazine (vol. 143, no. 1179, article, pp.351-359)
Sculpture by John Flaxman (1755-1826), made about 1826, at Petworth House.

The Wizard Earl's Advices To His Son, A Facsimile and Transcript from the manuscripts of Henry Percy Ninth Earl of Northumberland at Petworth House, by Gordon R. Batho, published 2002 (The Roxburghe Club)

Turner at Petworth, by Nicky Ingram, published 2002 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14791]

Turner at Petworth: the 3rd Earl of Egremont's carved room restored, by C. Rowell, published 2002 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 155, issue 484, article, pp.40-47)

Turner at Petworth, by David Blayney Brown, Christopher Rowell and Ian Warrell, published 30 June 2002 (208 pp., Tate Publishing, ISBN-10: 1854374133 & ISBN-13: 9781854374134) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14807] & West Sussex Libraries
This volume is published to accompany an exhibition at Petworth House to mark the restoration of the Carved Room where J.M.W. Turner's paintings will be reinstated in their original positions in the panelling. Petworth House was a special place for Turner, both as the home of his great patron, Lord Egremont, and as the scene of many happy visits. Turner recorded the beauties of the great English house in over 100 gouache drawings and for the house itself he painted, among other things, four landscapes to hang in the Carved Room. This book celebrates Turner's relationship with Petworth and its owner through the reproduction of over 150 works, prefaced by thematic essays written by scholars from the National Trust and Tate.

The Petworth House Archives. Volume IV. A Catalogue, by Alison McCann, published 2003 (Chichester: West Sussex County Council) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15051] & West Sussex Libraries

Reigning Toasts': Portraits of Beauties by Van Dyck and Dahl at Petworth, by C. Rowell, published 2003 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (no. 494, article, pp.39-47)
Examines the collection of 17th- and 18th-c. painted portraits of women by Sir Anthony van Dyck, Michael Dahl, and Sir Godfrey Kneller in Petworth House, West Sussex, focusing on collector Algernon Percy's (10th Earl of Northumberland) emulation of Continental traditions of compiling such portraiture and their display. Discusses Percy's commissions of the paintings, which included portraits of family members and other nobility. Discusses the rotation of pictures among the different rooms at Petworth, and comments on the engraved frames in which they were hung. The paintings by Dahl and Kneller portray the beautiful ladies of the British aristocracy, and hang in the aptly named Beauty Room at Petworth.

Lord Egremont's dogs: the cynosure of Turner's Petworth landscapes, by Martin Wallen, published 2006 in English Literary History (vol. 73, no. 4, article, pp.855-883)

Petworth's Carved Room, by Tim Knox, published 15 February 2007 in Country Life (vol. 201 no. 7, article, pp.68-71)

Estate Improvement and the Professionalisation of Land Agents on the Egremont Estates in Sussex and Yorkshire, 1770-1835, by Sarah Webster, published April 2007 in Rural History (vol. 18, issue 1, article, pp.47-69, ISSN: 0956-7933)   View Online
The role of land agents in the management and improvement of English landed estates between 1770 and 1850 is examined in this paper. The focus is on the responsibilities of land agents, their contribution to agricultural improvement, and in particular the validity of a thesis of the professionalisation of agents during this period. The Petworth House archives are used to compare the work of two legal agents at Petworth in Sussex with that of a professional land agency firm in Yorkshire, both employed by the third Earl of Egremont (1751-1837). This study suggests that the role of land agents in agricultural improvement at Petworth was limited to the financial, legal and political aspects of these developments rather than practical management. It proposes that legal agents remained more influential than has been supposed, even on estates renowned for agricultural improvement, and despite contemporary criticism that emphasised the importance of applied agricultural expertise. The belated professionalisation of the Petworth agents and the significant differences in their roles when compared with contemporary and historical accounts suggests that estate management was therefore far more diverse than is suggested in some recent literature.

French furniture at Petworth: Boulle & the acquisitions from Hamilton Palace in 1882, by Peter Hughes, published 2008 in National Trust historic houses & collections (article, pp.58-66) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library
Looks at a group of early 18th century furniture at Petworth, Sussex, by Andre-Charles Boulle (or in his style) acquired in the 1882 sale of the contents of Hamilton Palace, near Glasgow (expanded 1822 onwards, demolished between 1919-26).

French fashion at Petworth, by Peter Hughes, published September 2008 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (vol. 168, no. 557, article, pp.58-63) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library
Looks at the French furniture and furnishings acquired by the 3rd Earl of Egremont (1751-1837) for Petworth House in Sussex.

The retirement of Henry Percy, ninth Earl of Northumberland, at Petworth 1621-1632, by Gordon R. Batho, published 2009 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 147, article, pp.147-152) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 17254] & The Keep [LIB/500365] & S.A.S. library   View Online
Henry Percy was released from incarceration in the Tower in 1621 by the influence of James Hay, a favourite of King James who had married Lucy, the Earl's younger daughter, against his wishes. He was at first confined to 30 miles from Petworth, but the restriction was later removed. He was not, however, allowed to attend Parliament even when Charles became king. Algernon, his heir, was called as Baron Percy. The Earl lived quietly, often visiting his older daughter Dorothy, wife of Viscount Lisle, and her children at Penshurst. Northumberland died at Petworth on 5 November 1632, the anniversary of the Gunpowder Plot which had caused him so much grief, though he was clearly innocent.

A study in perfection [Lord Egremont's study at Petworth], by Jeremy Musson, published 8 April 2009 in Country Life (vol. 203 no. 14, article, pp.80-81)

Charles and Joseph Harrison, forgotten horticulturalists, by Jo Trafford-Owen, published 2010 in Garden History (vol. 38, no. 2, article, pp.231-241)
Charles Harrison was head gardener at Petworth House.

Elizabeth Ilive comes alive: Petworth House archives, by Sheila Haines and Leigh Lawson, published Autumn 2010 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 78, article, p.11) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/78] & The Keep [LIB/500502]

Agents and professionalisation : improvement on the Egremont estates c.1770 to c.1860 , by Sarah Ann Webster, 2011 at Nottingham University (Ph.D. thesis)   View Online
This thesis examines aspects of estate improvement on the Egremont estates in Sussex, Yorkshire and Australia between 1770 and 1860. Using the Petworth House Archives and others, it documents large-scale improvement projects, including William Smith's work in mineral prospecting in West Yorkshire, and Colonel Wyndham's land speculation in South Australia. The third Earl of Egremont (1751-1837) himself has received some biographical attention, but this has concentrated to a great extent on his patronage of the arts. This thesis therefore documents a number of important matters for the first time, in particular the detailed work of the middle layer of personnel involved in estate management and improvement. Episodes of 'failure' in estate improvement are also revealing in this study. This thesis contributes to debates regarding the nature of 'improvement' in this period, and most particularly, to understandings of the developing rural professions and to scholarship regarding professionalisation; interpreting key episodes in the archive utilising a 'landscape' approach. It uses the concept of an 'estate landscape' to draw together the dispersed Egremont estates in order to better understand the management structures of these estates, and how they relate to the home estate at Petworth.The thesis examines the relationships between Lord Egremont and the various agents (in the widest sense) who acted on his behalf; the configuration of which agents was different for each of the different estates. It makes a particular contribution to ongoing debates about the formation of the professions in eighteenth and nineteenth-century England in suggesting that despite the contemporary stress on applied agricultural expertise, legal land agents remained more influential than has been supposed. The belated professionalisation of the Petworth agents and the significant differences in their roles when compared with a land agency firm such as Kent, Claridge and Pearce suggests that estate management was far more diverse than has been suggested. Egremont himself emerges from the archive as neither a hands-on agricultural improver nor as an uninterested and neglectful absentee. Instead, I suggest, he acted as co-ordinator and as an impresario amongst the men engaged to act on his behalf, the middle layer of developing rural professionals including agents, surveyors, and engineers. If the literature to date has concentrated on Egremont as patron of art, he emerges from this thesis as a patron of improvement.

Documents from the Thomond Papers at Petworth House Archive [with index], by Luke McInerney, published 2011 in Archivium Hibernicum (vol. 64, article, pp.7-55)
Relating to Ireland, chiefly county Clare,

Petworth: The People and the Place, compiled by Christopher Rowell, published 24 August 2012 (144 pp., National Trust, ISBN-10: 0707804205 & ISBN-13: 9780707804200) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
This vast late 17th-century mansion is set in a beautiful 700-acre deer park in West Sussex, landscaped by 'Capability' Brown and immortalised in Turner's paintings. The house contains the National Trust's finest collection of pictures, with numerous works by Turner, Van Dyck, Reynolds and Blake, ancient and Neo-classical sculpture, fine furniture and carvings by Grinling Gibbons. The servants' quarters contain fascinating kitchens (including a copper batterie de cuisine of more than 1,000 pieces) and other service rooms. Petworth is the second title in a new series of guidebooks published for the National Trust, featuring some of its most important, popular and prestigious properties. The National Trust is one of the largest landowners in the UK. It protects and opens to the public over 350 historic houses, gardens and ancient monuments throughout England, Wales and Northern Ireland. With stunning new photography and authoritative text, Petworth explores and celebrates the art, architecture and history of one of the National Trust's greatest properties.

Constable at Petworth, by T. Wilcox, published 2014 in Apollo : the international magazine of art and antiques (no. 618, article, pp.182-183)

Petworth Park's hidden past, by Tom Dommett, published 2015 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 153, article, pp.83-112) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 18934] & The Keep [LIB/509033] & S.A.S. library   View Online
From September 2012 to September 2013 a programme of archaeological survey and investigation was undertaken at Petworth Park, West Sussex, under the auspices of the Monument Trust-funded Petworth Park Archaeology Project. Lancelot 'Capability' Brown's 18th-century landscape design at Petworth House and Park has left a landscape which appears natural and timeless, but nothing could be further from the truth. The project has revealed a complex sequence of change, development and expansion over the course of 800 years, a story of changing fashions and fortunes which have left their mark on the landscape. Working with over 100 volunteers, the Petworth Park Archaeology Project has shed new light on features such as the 17th-century 'lost' North Wing of the House, the 6th Duke of Somerset's monumental stable block and the 18th-century baroque formal gardens which once surrounded the House. It has shown how the use of the Park has included the functional as well as the ornamental, with evidence for industrial activities and estate buildings, and has revealed how portions of the surrounding medieval and post-medieval landscape, including settlement and field systems, have become engulfed and fossilised within the Park. Investigations ranging from desk-based assessment to excavation have not only identified a huge range of archaeological features but have also demonstrated the archaeological potential within the Park and the need for future work to further our understanding of this complex landscape.

The Petworth Book of Country House Cooking, by Peter Brears, published 28 October 2015 (176 pp., Prospect Books, ISBN-10: 1909248436 & ISBN-13: 9781909248434)
Petworth House has been the home of the Leconfield family since it was granted to them by Queen Adeliza, the second wife of Henry 1, in 1150. And it is now lived in by Lord Egremont, a family member, who grew up in the house in the 1950s, just after it was gifted to the National Trust in 1947. As a boy, he recalls a full staff of butler, cook, kitchen maids and a footman, and each meal was attended to by the services of the butler and footman, who the children of the house adored.The history of the house is varied and fascinating, including a dairy that existed from 1784, and which was eventually closed in the 1920s, and behind it a massive underground icehouse which stored 2500 cubic feet of ice gathered each winter from the lake in the park.The kitchens dealt with a myriad of natural ingredients from eels and oysters to black pudding and quince jellies. The recipes include Oeufs Soubise made with onion and cream, Petworth Venison Pie, Mint Ice, Friar s Omelette, an apple pudding which in fact has no eggs, and delicious sounding Carrolines au Parmesan, savoury cheese-filled éclairs.With beautiful photographs of the grounds and buildings, servant s quarters, kitchens, scullery and steam plants

Pandora at Petworth House: new light on the work and patronage of Louis Laguerre, by Lydia Hamlett, published December 2016 in Burlington magazine (vol. 158, no. 1365, article, pp.950-955) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library
This article looks at the painted ceiling and wall paintings at Petworth House, West Sussex, painted by Laguerre circa 1719, and at the circumstances surrounding the commission including the patronage of Elizabeth, Duchess of Somerset (1667-1722).