Bibliography - Midhurst, Chichester District, West Sussex
Bibliography Home

Note: King Edward VII Hospital and Midhurst Grammar School are listed separately

Links

Publications

Parliamentary History - Midhurst, by William Durrant Cooper, published 1835 in The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex (appendix III, article, pp.50-52) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2397][Lib 3212] & The Keep [LIB/507380][Lib/500088] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Borough of Midhurst, by Thomas Walker Horsfield, published 1835 in The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex (vol. II, rape of Chichester, pp.92-94) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2397][Lib 3212] & The Keep [LIB/507380][Lib/500088] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Lease of the Free Chapel of Midhurst, in 1514, by Sir Henry Ellis, K.H., F.S.A., published 1850 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 3, article, pp.23-25) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2088] & The Keep [LIB/500222] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Verdley Castle, by Edward Turner, published 1860 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 12, notes & queries, pp.265-266) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2097] & The Keep [LIB/500231] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Description of Midhurst, Cowdray, Woolbeding, etc, The House, The Park, The Town, The Fortunes of the Montague Family, The Health and the Scenery of the Locality , by Charles Fleet, published 1861 accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

An illustrated guide book to Midhurst and neighbourhood. Giving a full account of the ruins at Cowdray, the priory at Easebourne, Woolbeding, Trotton, the Roman remains at Bignor, and all the points of interest in the neighbourhood, by G. D. Wolferstan, published 1868 (107 pp.)

Midhurst: its Lords and its Inhabitants, by William Durrant Cooper, F.S.A., published 1868 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 20, article, pp.1-33) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2105] & The Keep [LIB/507132] & S.A.S. library   View Online

St Anne's Hill, Midhurst, by Rev. Edward Turner, published 1868 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 20, article, pp.175-179) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2105] & The Keep [LIB/507132] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Midhurst, by Mark Antony Lower, M.A., published 1870 in A Compendious History of Sussex, Topographical, Archaeological & Anecdotal (vol. II, pp.51-53, Lewes: George P. Bacon) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8946][Lib 3315] & The Keep [LIB/500158]   View Online

Midhurst Guide 1872, Illustrated Guide Book to Midhurst & Neighbourhood, Giving a Full Account of the Ruins at Cowdray, The Priory at Easebourne, Woolbeding Trotton, etc, by G. D. Wolferstan, published 1872 (booklet, published by the author) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4274] & West Sussex Libraries

Ordnance Survey Book of Reference to the plan of the Parish of Midhurst, published 1875 (London: H.M.S.O. & printed at George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode)   View Online

Ordnance Survey Book of Reference to the plan of the Parish of Steep, published 1875 (London: H.M.S.O. & printed at George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode)

A Local Almanack for Midhurst & Petworth, containing Calendar of the Months and general local..., published 1876 (W H Burnett) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Cobden 11 294]
116 pp.

Midhurst Views 1880 (Circa), Imperial Album of Midhurst Views, by G. D. Wolferstan, published 1880 (published by the author) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

Midhurst Guide 1884, New and revised Guide Book to Midhurst & Neighbourhood, Giving a Full Account of the Ruins at Cowdray, The Charlton Hunt, Priory at Easebourne, etc , by G. D. Wolferstan, published 1884 (published by the author) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

Midhurst Tokens, by F. H. Arnold, published 1888 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 36, notes & queries, p.254) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2121] & The Keep [LIB/500254] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Guide to Midhurst and Neighbourhood, by Robert Morley, published 1903 (Midhurst: G. Roynon) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12500] & West Sussex Libraries

Midhurst and Midhurst's Villages, by E. V. Lucas with illustrations by Frederick L. Griggs, published 1904 in Highways and Byways in Sussex (Chapter I & II, London: Macmillan & Co.) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 41][Lib 12792][Lib 15825] & The Keep [LIB/500142]   View Online

The Official Guide to Midhurst and District, published 1908 accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4277]

Guide to Midhurst and District, by G. Roynon, published 1908 accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3191][Lib 12955]

Midhurst, by Harold Griffith Daniels, published 1909 (booklet, London: Homeland Association Ltd.) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14707][Lib 4275][Lib 4276]

Walks and Rides round Midhurst, by Frank Tatchell, published 1909 (pamphlet, published by the author) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4273] & West Sussex Libraries

Official Guide to Midhurst and District, published 1915 (Midhurst) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2805]

History of an old Catholic Mission: Cowdray - Easebourne - Midhurst, by Henry M. Willaert, published 1928 (London: Burns Oates and Washbourne) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2804] & West Sussex Libraries

Trotton to Redford and Midhurst, by Raymond C. Chandler, published 1932 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. VI no. 6, article, pp.370-373) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9325] & The Keep [LIB/500175]

The De Bohuns of Midhurst, by C. E. Snowden, published 1933 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. VII no. 5, article, pp.307-313) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2312] & The Keep [LIB/500176]

In the Country of Cobden, by Rev. A. A. Evans, published 1933 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. VII no. 8, article, pp.530-534) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2312] & The Keep [LIB/500176]

Walks and Rides round Midhurst, by Frank Tatchell, published 1934 (pamphlet, 9th edition, published by the author) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9492] & West Sussex Libraries

Historic Houses of Sussex - Stedham Hall, Midhurst, by Viscountess Wolseley, published 1934 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. VIII no. 6, article, pp.350-355) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9329] & The Keep [LIB/500177]

Notes of the Geology of the country around Haslemere and Midhurst, by J. F. Kirkaldy, M.Sc., F.G.S. and S. W. Wooldridge, D.Sc., F.G.S., published 1938 in The Proceedings of the Geologists' Association London (no. 49 issue 2, article, pp.135-147)   View Online
Abstract:
A traverse from Haslemere to Midhurst involves the crossing of nearly 1,000 feet of the Lower Cretaceous beds and reveals the structure and physiography of the Weald in somewhat unusual light. We have made observations on this area for some ten years, and on the occasion of the Field Meeting the opportunity was taken of co-ordinating these observations and presenting a brief connected account of the geology of the district as a whole.

Midhurst, by G. D. Johnston, published August 1940 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VIII no. 3, reply, p.89) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8865][Lib 2207] & The Keep [LIB/500210] & S.A.S. library

Seventy Years of Public Health in a Sussex Rural District, by Eric Ward, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., D.P.H., published May 1947 in Public Health (vol. 60, article, pp.159-163)   View Online

The S.R. at Midhurst, published July 1947 in Railway Magazine (article, pp.245-)   Download PDF

Midhurst and District: The Official Guide, published 1948 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5669]

Richard Lumley of Midhurst (ob. 1655) A Long Search Ended, by L. G. H. Horton-Smith, F.S.A.Scot., M.A., published May 1948 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 2, article, pp.28-33) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Thirty-five years of Midhurst: A survey of the progress in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis based on the Midhurst annual reports for 1906-41, by M. C. Brough, published May 1949 in Tubercle (vol. 30, issue 5, article, pp.103-109)   View Online

Richard Lumley of Midhurst (1622-1655) and his sister Frances Yeomans, by L. G. H. Horton-Smith, published November 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 8, article, pp.176-177) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Midhurst and District: the official guide, published 1950 (booklet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4278]

Midhurst Rural District: official guide, published 1952 (booklet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4279]

The Parliamentary Representation of the Sussex Boroughs: Bramber, Midhurst, Lewes, Rye and Winchelsea, 175401768, by Margaret M. Cramp, 1953 at Manchester University (M.A. thesis)

Parish of Midhurst, edited by L. F. Salzman, published 1953 in The Victoria History of the County of Sussex (vol. 4: The Rape of Chichester, pp.74-80, London: Victoria County History, ISBN-10: 071290588X & ISBN-13: 9780712905886) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7398] & The Keep [LIB/500082] & R.I.B.A. Library & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

Midhurst Court Rolls, by E. M. Gardner, published May 1953 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIII nos. 13 & 14, article, pp.265-272) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8231] & The Keep [LIB/500215] & S.A.S. library

A Last Journey on the Chichester-Midhurst Line, by H. M. Madgwick, published November 1953 in Railway Magazine (article, pp.774-775)   Download PDF

The South Mill, Midhurst, by E. M. Gardner, M.A., published May 1954 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 1 & 2, article, pp.10-15) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

Railways at Midhurst, by Jeoffry Spence, published March 1955 in Railway Magazine (article, pp.155-160)   Download PDF

Roman Catholics in Midhurst in 1641, by C. E. Welch, published May 1956 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 9 & 10, article, pp.166-169) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

The South Mill, Midhurst, by E. M. Gardner, published May 1957 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 13 & 14, article, pp.233-235) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

The Possessions of a Sussex Surgeon, by Francis W. Steer, published April 1958 in Medical History (vol. 2, issue 2, article, pp.134-136) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5316]   View Online
Preview:
Inventory, taken on 25 February 1631/2 of William Whighte (or White), a surgeon of Midhurst

The Story of Midhurst Parish Church, by S. J. Travers, published 1963 (pamphlet, Gloucester: British Publishing) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7468] & West Sussex Libraries

Midhurst Grammar School Tercentenary 1672-1972, by Kim C. Leslie, published 1972 (Midhurst Grammar School) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

19th and Early 20th Century Midhurst in Old Photographs, compiled by Charles White, published 1972 (published by the author) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2802] & West Sussex Libraries

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Midhurst RD, published 1974 (Department of Environment) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7549]

Railway Development in the Midhurst Area, by F. H. Smith, published 1976 in Sussex Industrial History (No. 7, article, pp.2-6) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/7] & The Keep [LIB/506524]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Until fairly recent times the small country town of Midhurst was served by a remarkable network of branch lines in the shape of the letter 'T', The London and South Western Railway (LSWR) ran westwards to Petersfield and the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LBSCR) ran south to Chichester and eastwards to Pulborough. In addition there was a proposal for a line from Midhurst to Haslemere and, as late as 1902, the redoubtable H. F. Stephens of light-railway fame drew up plans for a light railway between Selham, Cranleigh and Ockley.
One reason for this state of affairs was that each of the three lines constructed was envisaged as part of a through route - not merely as a branch to serve Midhurst. The Chichester-Midhurst line was, for example, first proposed as part of the Guildford, Chichester, Portsmouth and Fareham Railway's main line and was revived many years after the GCPF scheme had been abandoned. Railway politics were also responsible as Midhurst lay on the border between the LSWR and the LBSCR territories and was thus served by both companies.
All that remains of this system today is a two-mile spur from Chichester to a gravel pit near Lavant.

Midhurst: an illustrated historical guide. Queens Path, Nature Notes, The Old Town, published 1977 (booklet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 6473][Lib 14376]

The Chichester and Midhurst Railway, by Paul Clark, published 1979 accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12357]

Tracks of the Past: The Chichester to Midhurst Railway, by R. B. Towle, published 1979 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7962]

Methodism in the Western Weald, by Ella Breame, published 1 May 1979 (52 pp., Midhurst Methodist Church, ISBN-10: 0950662208 & ISBN-13: 9780950662206) accessible at: British Library & West Sussex Libraries

Dunford, Home of the Cobden, by E. Pritchard, published September 1979 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 14, article, p.3) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/14] & The Keep [LIB/500479]

The Chichester and Midhurst Railway, by Paul Clark, published May 1980 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 16, article, p.1) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/16] & The Keep [LIB/500479]

Richard Cobden at Home, by Eleanor Pritchard, published September 1980 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 17, article, p.7) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/17] & The Keep [LIB/500479]

Twelve Walks near Midhurst, by Helen Carlton, published 1982 (booklet, 4th revised edition, 25 pp.) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12958] & West Sussex Libraries

A Place in the Country: Dunford House, Midhurst, published 1983 (pamphlet, Dunford House) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8812]

Midhurst Catholics and the Protestation Returns of 1642, by Timothy J McCann, published 1983 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8706]

Midhurst Town: Then and Now, by Vic Mitchell and Barbara Mitchell, published 1 November 1983 (118 illus. & map, Midhurst: Middleton Press, ISBN-10: 0906520053 & ISBN-13: 9780906520055) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8827] & West Sussex Libraries

The Victorian Society, Hampshire Group: North-West Sussex Tour, by T. P. Hudson, published 1984 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9070]
Covers Wispers ('now St Cuthman's School'); King Edward VII Sanatorium, Midhurst; Lavington Park ('now Seaford College'); East Lavington Church; Little Thakeham ('now Little Thakeham Hotel'); West Lavington Church.

Midhurst Yesterday and Today, by Doris Gundry, published 1 May 1984 (booklet, 84 pp., published by the author, ISBN-10: 0950760218 & ISBN-13: 9780950760216) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9001] & West Sussex Libraries

A Recusant Hoard from Midhurst, by Timothy J. McCann, published 1986 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 124, historical note, pp.265-266) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9762] & The Keep [LIB/500311] & S.A.S. library

Branch Lines Around Midhurst, by Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith, published 5 September 1987 (96 pp., Midhurst: Middleton Press, ISBN-10: 0906520495 & ISBN-13: 9780906520499) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9851] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Prehistoric Flintwork from the Midhurst area, West Sussex, by Anne E. Bone and Robin Holgate, published 1988 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 126, archaeological note, pp.225-226) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10371] & The Keep [LIB/500303] & S.A.S. library

West Sussex Census Index: Midhurst Registration district HO 107 1654, Vol 3, published 1989 (Sussex Family History Group) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10421]

Religious Survey 1851 - Midhurst district, edited by John A. Vickers, published August 1990 in The Religious Census of Sussex 1851 (Sussex Record Society, vol. 75, pp.173-182, ISBN-10: 085445036X & ISBN-13: 9780854450367) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10578][Lib 13824] & The Keep [LIB/500452][LIB/507827] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
District:
Midhurst district incl. Woolavington, Tillington, Lodsworth, Selham, Cocking, Woolbeding, Easebourne, Fernhurst, Lurgashall, North Chapel, Linchmere, Linch, Harting, Stedham, Iping, Chithurst, Terwick & Rogate

Midhurst's Happy Traveller [Frank Tatchell, vicar of Midhurst 1906-1935], by Anthony Hood, published 1991 (article) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11783]

The Inhabitants of Midhurst: an amendment (ref. SAC Vol 20), by I. L. Williams, published 1992 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 130, historical note, pp.244-246) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11918] & The Keep [LIB/500289] & S.A.S. library

A First Look at Midhurst Inventories, by Lorelei Williams, published April 1992 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 49, article, p.29) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/49] & The Keep [LIB/500483]

London's Lost Route to Midhurst: The Earl of Egremont's Navigation and the Building of the Petworth Canal, by P. A. L. Vine, published 29 June 1995 (160 pp., Stroud: Sutton Publishing Ltd., ISBN-10: 0750909684 & ISBN-13: 9780750909686) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

Midhurst and District Chamber of Trade Directory, published 1996 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13638]

Restoration Midhurst, The Evidence from Probate Inventories, by Lorelei Williams, published April 1996 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 57, article, p.21) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/57] & The Keep [LIB/500484]

The Spread Eagle Hotel, Midhurst, West Sussex [brochure], published c.1997 (booklet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13539]

Further evidence of Mesolithic activity near Midhurst, West Sussex, by Keith Watson and Steve Mason, published 1997 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 135, shorter article, pp.297-298) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13642] & The Keep [LIB/500290] & S.A.S. library

Going of the Rails: Country Railway in West Sussex, by Bill Gage, Michael Harris, Tony Sullivan and Patrick Moore, published July 1997 (96 pp., Chichester: West Sussex County Council, ISBN-10: 0862604001 & ISBN-13: 9780862604004) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13889] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
A recollection of the operation of the Selsey Tram and the branch lines to Petworth, Midhurst and Chichester is provided through the memoirs of local residents. The history and possible future of the West Sussex country railways are also provided.

The de Bohun Castle of Midhurst, 1160-1316, by Joy Collingwood, published October 1997 in West Sussex History, the Journal of West Sussex Archives Society (no. 60, article, p.12) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16404/60] & The Keep [LIB/500484]

Midhurst Directory, 1998-1999, published 1998 (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13977]

Midhurst - 18c. Schools, edited by John Caffyn, published 1998 in Sussex Schools in the 18th Century (Sussex Record Society, vol. 81, pp.202-204, ISBN-10: 0854450424 & ISBN-13: 9780854450428) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13825][Lib 13828] & The Keep [LIB/500458][Lib/507864] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

They Also Served: A Collection of World War Two Memories of Men and Women of the Midhurst Area, by 33 Men and Women, published 2000 (Royal British Legion)

Midhurst Whites Brickworks: George Cloke's Account, by Brian Austen (introduction), published 2000 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 30, article, pp.24-28, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/30] & The Keep [LIB/506528]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Only a store shed and some points from a light railway now survive from the Midhurst Whites Brickworks which were sited close to the former London & South Western Railway station at Midhurst (SU 877213). The Works were established in 1913 by S. Pearson & Son, Civil Engineers, a firm controlled by the Cowdray family. The Works at Midhurst Common were built on land owned by Lord Cowdray. Sand for brick production was extracted from a site close to the Works. After World War I the business was sold and the new owner also operated a lime works at Cocking, three miles south of Midhurst. In 1926 Benjamin Cloke became the owner and by 1930 was trading as the Midhurst Brick & Lime Co. Ltd. He used the railway to despatch bricks to London. In common with other brickworks, the business suffered from the depression of the early 1930s and unsold stocks of bricks mounted.

Midhurst, by John Magilton and Spencer Thomas, published 2001 (148 pp., Chichester District Council, ISBN-10: 0850170052 & ISBN-13: 9780850170054) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries

Walking in West Sussex: Midhurst, Petworth and Pulborough, by Tony Oldfield, published 1 May 2003 (80 pp., Seaford: S. B. Publications, ISBN-10: 1857702662 & ISBN-13: 9781857702668) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
The West Sussex Towns of Midhurst, Petworth and Pulborough, linked by the rivers Rother and Arun, provide an area crying out for exploration by the rambler. A multitude of footpaths provide access to arable land, woodland, a remarkable amount of commons and an increasing number of woodland owned by the Woodland Trust principally for public access. This book details fifteen walks, which will encourage and help people to explore this very attractive area.
The author, Tony Oldfield until recently lived in West Wittering, West Sussex.

A Midhurst Lad: A Sussex Childhood from the Mid 1920's to the Late 30's, by Ronald E. Boxall and edited by Joan Stanley, published 1 October 2003 (264 pp., Red 'n' Ritten Ltd, ISBN-10: 1904278310 & ISBN-13: 9781904278313) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15139] & West Sussex Libraries

St Ann's Hill, published 2005 (leaflet, Midhurst Society) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15400]

Midhurst Town Trail, published 2005 (leaflet, Midhurst Society) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15398]

Turnpike Roads to Chichester, Midhurst & Petworth, by Brian Austen, published 2005 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 35, article, pp.28-39, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506533]   Download PDF
Abstract:
It is intended to record all tollhouses and milestones and any other turnpike structures starting in the west of the county. A hub town will be identified and all turnpike roads serving this place will be examined. A brief history of each of the trusts will be followed by a list of the sites of the tollhouses, and if there are any structures still present these will be described. Surviving milestones will be located and their nature indicated. The first hub city covered in this article is Chichester with the two smaller towns of Midhurst and Petworth also included.

Bringing luxury to the poorhouse [at Budgenor Lodge, Midhurst], by Country Life contributor(s), published 6 July 2006 in Country Life (vol. 200 no. 27, article, p.101)

The Nineteenth Century Construction of Midhurst North Mill, by Alan H. J. Green, published 2010 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 40, article, pp.19-23, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506537]   Download PDF

Midhurst, Historic Character Assessment Report, compiled by Roland B. Harris, published January 2010 (Sussex Extensive Urban Survey (EUS), 43 pp. + appendices, E.S.C.C., W.S.C.C. & Brighton and Hove City, funded by English Heritage)   Download PDF

Budgenor Lodge: A Georgian Enterprise, by Guyatt, Andrew R, published 2012 (Midhurst: Middleton Press) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 18316] & West Sussex Libraries
Tracing the history of the Easebourne House of Industry, later Midhurst Union Workhouse, now a residential complex.

St Margaret's School, Petersfield Road, Midhurst (NGR: SU88462152) - building survey, evaluation and watching brief reports, by Genni Elliott, published June 2013 (Reading: Thames Valley Archaeological Services)   View Online

The Shadow Between: The Diary of a Lost Love 1882-1938, edited by Mairi Rennie, published 4 May 2016 (118 pp., New Generation Publishing, ISBN-10: 1785077376 & ISBN-13: 9781785077371) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries
Abstract:
The Shadow Between is based on the diary of a well-known illustrator and artist, William Parkinson (1858-1938). This was the period when the old ways were being superseded by the beginnings of modern life - railways, cycles, motor transport, photography, cinemas, medicine, fashions, the fading of the British Empire, and new social attitudes. The story is set in West Sussex, near Midhurst - now the centre of the South Downs National Park. In 1882 William was 24. He visited a college friend whose father was Rector of Terwick, near Rogate and fell in love with the Rector's daughter. It was a very intense experience which affected the rest of his life. The book is fully illustrated.

The Midhurst Shoemakers, by Kathy McNeill, published December 2016 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 22 no. 4, article, pp.181-183) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15860] & The Keep [LIB/509472]
Preview:
For about 120 years the Pitman family made shoes for the people of Midhurst

A Chronicle of the Midhurst Clerical Society, 1862-1912, published (no date) (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 4722]

Dunford House, Midhurst, published (no date) (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 5285]

Dunford House: Residential, Conference and Training Centre [near Midhurst], published (no date) (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15264]

Midhurst Parish Church. St Mary Magdalene and St Denys, published (no date) (pamphlet, Midhurst Parish Council) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9102]

The Story of Midhurst Parish Church, by P. T. Jones, published (no date) (pamphlet) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9231][Lib 4914]

Midhurst Parish Register, published (no date) by the Sussex Family History Group and Parish Register Transcription Society (Ref: SXW18, CD-ROM)
Abstract:
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1565-1900, Banns 1653-1812. Indexed Transcription. Includes 38 photographs. Vol.18