Bibliography - Mayfield, Wealden District, East Sussex
Bibliography Home

Links

Publications

The History of Tunbridge Wells, by Thomas Benge Burr, published 1766 (317 pp., Tunbridge Wells: E. Baker) accessible at: East Sussex Libraries   View Online

Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood illustrated by a Series of Etchings and Historical Descriptions, by Paul Amsinck and engraved by Letitia Byrne, published 1810 (London: William Miller & Edmund Lloyd) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506727] & West Sussex Libraries   View Online

Historical and Architectural Notices of Mayfield Palace, by Henry Rosehurst Hoare, published 1849 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 2, article, pp.221-246) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2087] & The Keep [LIB/500221] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Medicinal Waters at Waldron and Mayfield, by Mark Antony Lower, published 1854 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 7, notes & queries, p.230) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2092] & The Keep [LIB/500226] & S.A.S. library

Extracts from the Journal of Walter Gale, Schoolmaster at Mayfield, 1750, by R. W. Blencowe, published 1857 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 9, article, pp.182-207) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2094] & The Keep [LIB/500228] & S.A.S. library   View Online

John Wickliffe, by Mark Antony Lower, published 1865 in The Worthies of Sussex (pp.300-301) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 3208][Lib 3233][Lib 3304] & The Keep [LIB/503515][LIB/504913]

Extracts from the Overseers' "Accompts" of the Parish of Mayfield (Maighfeild) 1626, by W. Ansell Day, published 1866 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 18, notes & queries, p.196) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2103] & The Keep [LIB/500237] & S.A.S. library   View Online

On Mayfield, in Sussex, by Edward Roberts, F.S.A., F.R.I.B.A., published December 1867 in Journal of the British Archaeological Association (first series, vol 23, issue 4, article, pp.333-369) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library   View Online

Mayfield, by William Durrant Cooper, F.S.A., published 1869 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 21, article, pp.1-19) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2016] & The Keep [LIB/500239] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Additional Notes on Mayfield, by William Ansell Day, published 1869 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 21, article, pp.20-23) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2016] & The Keep [LIB/500239] & S.A.S. library   View Online

Mayfield, by Mark Antony Lower, M.A., published 1870 in A Compendious History of Sussex, Topographical, Archaeological & Anecdotal (vol. II, pp.44-48, Lewes: George P. Bacon) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8946][Lib 3315] & The Keep [LIB/500158]   View Online

Ordnance Survey Book of Reference to the plan of the Parish of Mayfield, published 1875 (London: H.M.S.O. & printed at George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode)   View Online

A Holiday on the Road: An Artist's Wanderings in Kent, Sussex and Surrey [Mayfield, Alfriston, Hailsham, Herstmonceux and the South Downs], by James John Hissey, published 1887 (xviii + 408 pp., London: Richard Bentley & Son) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

Mayfield. The Story of an old Wealden Village, by E. M. Bell-Irving, published 1903 (viii + 204 pp., London: William Clowes & Sons) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/501531] & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

Crowborough and Mayfield, by E. V. Lucas with illustrations by Frederick L. Griggs, published 1904 in Highways and Byways in Sussex (Chapter XXXII, London: Macmillan & Co.) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 41][Lib 12792][Lib 15825] & The Keep [LIB/500142]   View Online

English Homes and Villages, Kent & Sussex also published as Tunbridge Wells and its Neighbourhood, by Lady Elizabeth R. Hope, published 1909 (296 pp., Sevenoaks: J. Salmon) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

Camomile Fields and Mayfield, by A. Mawer, published November 1927 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. I no. 8, note, p.249) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8950] & The Keep [LIB/500203] & S.A.S. library

Twitts Ghyll, the property of the Rt. Hon. Sir Austen Chamberlain, by Country Life contributor(s), published 28 April 1928 in Country Life (article)

The Name of Mayfield, by A. Mawer, published May 1928 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. II no. 2, reply, pp.64-65) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8951] & The Keep [LIB/500204] & S.A.S. library

An Aynescombe of Mayfield Will of 1649, by Alfred Anscombe, F.R.Hist.S., published 1929 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 70, article, pp.165-172) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2155] & The Keep [LIB/500359] & S.A.S. library

A Silver Fox Farm, by S. Thorrnton Shaw, published 1930 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. IV no. 8, article, pp.698-700) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2308][Lib 2309] & The Keep [LIB/500173]

A Sussex Merchant in London [Gybon Maufeld], by L. F. Salzman, F.S.A., published August 1933 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. IV no. 7, article, pp.193-195) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2203][Lib 8222][Lib 8861] & The Keep [LIB/500206] & S.A.S. library

Historic Houses of Sussex - Hunt's Barn, Mayfield, by Viscountess Wolseley, published 1936 in Sussex County Magazine (vol. X no. 11, article, pp.719-725) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 2315][Lib 9331] & The Keep [LIB/500181]

Sussex Church Plans XL: St Dunstan, Mayfield , by W. H. G. [W. H. Godfrey], published May 1937 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. VI no. 6, article, pp.178-180) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 12537][Lib 8863][Lib 8224] & The Keep [LIB/500208] & S.A.S. library

An Early Mayfield Clockmaker, by H. F. F., published August 1946 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XI no. 3, note, p.66) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8229][Lib 2210] & The Keep [LIB/500213] & S.A.S. library

Some Place Names at Mayfield, by E. R. Burder, published November 1949 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XII no. 8, article, pp.175-176) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8230] & The Keep [LIB/500214] & S.A.S. library

Looking Back: Memories of Lovely Mayfield, An Old Sussex Village, by Fred Lester, published 1950 (115 pp., Mayfield: Henry Thomas, The Mayfield Press) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/503460] & East Sussex Libraries
Review by George D. Johnston in Sussex Notes and Queries, May 1951:
The author (who was 79 on the 11th November, 1950) was born and has lived all his life in Mayfield and this book (to use his own words) "is by no means a History of Mayfield, but just a collection of boyhood memories". It is a rich storehouse of memories, so often, alas, never preserved, of persons who lived in Mayfield and their manner of life and customs, some records of the author's own knowledge of their houses and some interesting accounts of local events, such as the railway accident of 1897 and the thunderstorm of one Whit-eve about 1895. The book is one which should be read by all persons interested in the parish or in our Victorian ancestors' mode of life

Looking Back: Memories of Lovely Mayfield, An Old Sussex Village, by Fred Lester, published 1953 (2nd edition, 217 pp., Mayfield: Henry Thomas, The Mayfield Press) accessible at: & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Some Mayfield Roads and Bridges, by E. R. Burder, published May 1955 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 5 & 6, article, pp.78-80) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

Primitive Bloomeries at Mayfield, by A. W. Fletcher, published May 1956 in Sussex Notes & Queries (vol. XIV nos. 9 & 10, note, p.173) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8232][Lib 2213] & The Keep [LIB/500216] & S.A.S. library

Mayfield: A history, by R. C. G. Foster, published 1964 (published by the author) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15985] & The Keep [LIB/503472] & East Sussex Libraries
Review by G. D. J. [G. D. Johnston] in Sussex Notes and Queries, May 1965:
In the introduction the Author says this book cannot claim to be a scholar's history and that all he has attempted to do is to combine in a consecutive story every item of interest about Mayfield which he has managed to discover in his reading. The Book can fairly claim to have carried this out and it would be unfair to criticise it for omissions (such as absence of any reference to the Mill or to any bridge except the tradition that the Devil paused at St. Dunstan's Bridge en route for Tunbridge Wells).
But there are inaccuracies which detract from the value of the Book. For instance Archbishop Warham died in 1532 (not 1530) and it was not Cranmer but Cromwell (as the King's Vicar General) who ordered Parish Registers to be kept. Justices of the Peace were not "self-elected" but appointed by the Crown and their administrative duties were transferred in 1888 to the newly formed County Council (not in 1894 to the District and Parish Councils). Their approval of Overseers and Surveyors of the Highways would (judging from other parishes) have been nominal, viz. confirming the nominees of the Parish Vestry (which is not referred to in the Book). Any defect in the roads was the subject of criminal proceedings at Quarter Sessions or the Assizes. Turnpike Roads were not controlled by the Justices but by a Body of Trustees named in the Act. It is surprising to hear that Medieval roads were maintained by the Lords of the Manors. The proof-reading is imperfect; for instance "buried for their faith" is presumably "burned;" Bibleham Forge was fed by a "leak" from the main river presumably "leat;" "the Committee of Counsillors" was presumably the Committee of the Privy Council on Education and we are told that a Headmaster reigned "with great recluse." There are several obvious misprints.

Bloomeries in the upper (east) Rother basin, by C. S. Cattell, published Spring 1972 in Wealden Iron Research Group (First Series No 3, article, p.13) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506558]   Download PDF

The History of St. Dunstan's Church, Mayfield, Sussex, published 1973 (28 pp., British Publishing Co., ISBN-10: 0714008990 & ISBN-13: 9780714008998) accessible at: R.I.B.A. Library & East Sussex Libraries

Excavations 1972: Mayfield, by D. Martin, published May 1973 in Sussex Archæological Society Newsletter (no. 10, article, p.38) accessible at: S.A.S. library   Download PDF

Excavations 1974: Mayfield, Hawksden Wood, by David Martin, published March 1975 in Sussex Archæological Society Newsletter (no. 15, article, p.65) accessible at: S.A.S. library   Download PDF

A Water-powered Bloomery at Woolbridge, Mayfield, by C. F. Tebbutt, published 1977 in Wealden Iron Research Group (First Series No. 11, report, p.5) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506558]   Download PDF

The Mayfield Canon, by P. McCarthy, published 1978 in Wealden Iron Research Group (First Series No. 13, article, p.22) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506558]   Download PDF

Mayfield Apprentices, 1612-1812, published September 1978 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 3 no. 6, article, pp.175-178) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7967] & The Keep [LIB/501255] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.

Mayfield Apprentices, concluded, published December 1978 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 3 no. 7, article, pp.206-210) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 7967] & The Keep [LIB/501255] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.

New Light on Mayfield Furnace, by C. F. Tebbutt, published 1980 in Wealden Iron Research Group (First Series No. 17, report, pp.17-18) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506558]   Download PDF

The Kirby Family of Mayfield, by Isabel Pike, published September 1980 in Sussex Genealogist and Family Historian (vol. 2 no. 2, article, pp.75-79) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 8671] & The Keep [LIB/501188] & CD SXGS from S.F.H.G.

Field Notes: Mayfield Forge, Mayfield Boring Mill and Mayfield Furnace revisited., by C. F. Tebbutt, published 1982 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 2, report, pp.6-11) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506559]   Download PDF

Field Notes: Park Farm, Mayfield, published 1983 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 3, report, pp.2-5) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506559]   Download PDF

Inventory of the Ironworks at Hamsell in 1708, by Anne Dalton, published 1983 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 3, article, pp.8-11) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506559]   Download PDF
Abstract:
The inventory reproduced here was taken when Robert Baker, the owner of Hamsell Furnace and Birchden Forge, was declared bankrupt in 1708. It is mentioned by Straker but many members may not have read Miss Bell-Irving's Mayfield, Straker's source, and seen a list of the equipment and manufactured goods to be found in a furnace and forge in the early eighteenth century.

The Aynscombes of Mayfield, published September 1983 in Sussex Genealogist and Family Historian (vol. 5 no. 2, article, pp.76-78) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 9173] & The Keep [LIB/501191] & CD SXGS from S.F.H.G.

Hawkesden Forge Ironmasters' House, by Margaret Bolt, published 1984 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 4, article, p.11, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506559]   Download PDF
Abstract:
Hawkesden Forge (TQ 623266) is remote from any other habitation or public road and the fine timber-framed house, standing just downstream of the south end of the bay, must have been built by whoever was operating the forge or possibly a furnace, for there is glassy slag as well as forge cinder here. According to Straker (Wealden Iron, 294-5) its origin is likely to have been in the sixteenth century.
We have to thank our member Anne Dalton for contacting the present occupier of the house and obtaining permission for a survey to be made. This was done by Margaret Holt of the Wealden Buildings Study Group, to whom we are grateful.

Field Notes: Brickhurst Stream, Old Place Farm, Mayfield, published 1985 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 5, report, pp.2-8, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506559]   Download PDF

Recording and Interpreting a Farm Building: Turks Farm Oast, Mayfield, East Sussex, by Gwen Jones and John Bell, published 1988 in The Historic Farm Buildings Group (vol. 2, article, pp.3-14)
Abstract:
Detailed analysis of an 1827 oast on an East Sussex farm

The Cuckoo Line, by A. G. Elliott, published 1 September 1988 (76 pp., Wild Swan Publications Ltd, ISBN-10: 0906867630 & ISBN-13: 9780906867631) accessible at: West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

The Dudeneys of Mayfield, by Miss M. E. Wren, published September 1988 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 8 no. 3, article, pp.116-117) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10736] & The Keep [LIB/501260] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
Henry Dudney (1790-1843) married Harriet Wicken in 1817. After she died in 1818 he married Edith Davidge in 1820 and they had eight children. Article covers the years 1795 - 1930 in the parish Mayfield

East Sussex Census 1851 Index: Rotherfield (inc. Crowborough) and Mayfield, by June C. Barnes, published May 1989 (vol. 14, booklet, C. J. Barnes & printed at Battle Instant Print Ltd., ISBN-13: 9781870264129) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11243] & The Keep [LIB/503433] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Field Notes: A Medieval Bloomery at Tidebrook, Mayfield, Sussex, compiled by J. S. Hodgkinson, published 1990 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 10, report, pp.2-3, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506560]   Download PDF

Religious Survey 1851 - Uckfield district, edited by John A. Vickers, published August 1990 in The Religious Census of Sussex 1851 (Sussex Record Society, vol. 75, pp.51-58, ISBN-10: 085445036X & ISBN-13: 9780854450367) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 10578][Lib 13824] & The Keep [LIB/500452][LIB/507827] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries
District:
Uckfield district incl. Rotherfield, Mayfield, Framfield, East Hoathly, Waldron, Isfield, Maresfield, Fletching & Buxted

Mayfield - Land Tax 1785, edited by Roger Davey, published 1991 in East Sussex Land Tax, 1785 (Sussex Record Society, vol. 77, pp.153-158, ISBN-10: 0854450386 & ISBN-13: 9780854450381) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11681][Lib 13075] & The Keep [LIB/500454][Lib/507860] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

Walter Gale, A Man of Parts, by Maurice Packham, published March 1991 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 9 no. 5, article, pp.163-169) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11999] & The Keep [LIB/501261] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
The story of Walter Gale, schoolmaster at Mayfield

"No soldier": the 1942 diary of Miss Editha Blaikley of Wren Cottage, Tidebrook, Sussex., by Editha Blaikley, published 1992 (222 pp., Mayfield: Cinderhill Books) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/503534] & British Library & East Sussex Libraries

A Pig in a Sack, by Maurice Packham, published June 1992 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 10 no. 2, article, pp.45-47) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14877] & The Keep [LIB/501262] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
The "Pig in a Sack" was the schoolhouse at Mayfield where Walter Gale and his successor Benjamin Hearnden taught.

Things Unseen and Forgot, by Maurice Packham, published December 1993 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 10 no. 8, article, pp.319-321) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14877] & The Keep [LIB/501262] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
Discovering the life of Agnes and Lawrence Peckham of Mayfield from his will of 1558 and an inventory of his goods.

The Mayfield cannon - a reappraisal, by C. J. N. Trollope, published 1994 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 14, article, pp.16-19, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506561]   Download PDF
Abstract:
As part of the Queen's Silver Jubilee celebrations in 1977, a cannon which had formerly been dug from the slag heap of Mayfield Furnace, and had subsequently become the property of the Convent which occupied the old Archbishops' palace in the village, was mounted on a plinth in the High Street. A plaque fixed to it suggests that it was made in the mid-17th century.

Thomas Ravensdale, Martyr, by Kathleen Benny, published September 1995 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 11 no. 7, article, pp.261-262) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 14878] & The Keep [LIB/501263] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
Thomas Ravensdale, a currier from Rye, was martyred at the stake at Mayfield on 24 September 1556.

Field Notes: A bloomery in Mayfield, Sussex, compiled by J. S. Hodgkinson, published 1996 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 16, report, pp.2-6, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506563]   Download PDF

Mayfield - 18c. Schools, edited by John Caffyn, published 1998 in Sussex Schools in the 18th Century (Sussex Record Society, vol. 81, pp.194-201, ISBN-10: 0854450424 & ISBN-13: 9780854450428) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13825][Lib 13828] & The Keep [LIB/500458][Lib/507864] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries

The Characterization of Medieval Wealden Settlements. Excavations at Ivenden, Combe Farm, Mayfield, East Sussex, by Mark Gardiner, published 1998 in Sussex Archæological Collections (vol. 136, article, pp.95-110) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 13921] & The Keep [LIB/500297] & S.A.S. library

Hawksden Forge, Mayfield, and the Sands family, by Anne Dalton, published 1998 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 18, article, pp.39-47, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16400] & The Keep [LIB/506565]   Download PDF
Abstract:
The gazetteer entry for Hawksden Forge in The Iron Industry of the Weald refers to a Thomas Sands obtaining pig iron from Waldron Furnace from 1699 and being tenant of the forge between 1702 and 1719. There appear to have been, in fact, three Thomas Sands in that period, and a John Sands was tenant of Hawksden Forge between 1702 and 1727.

View from Long Off: The History of Cricket in Mayfield, by Paul Jonathan McColl, published 1 June 2000 (143 pp., Consortium Publishing Ltd, ISBN-10: 0953841405 & ISBN-13: 9780953841400) accessible at: British Library & East Sussex Libraries

The Penkherst family of ironmasters, by Anne Dalton, published 2002 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 22, article, pp.23-26, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506569]   Download PDF
Abstract:
During recent work on the NADFAS Record of the Furnishings of St. Dunstan's Church, Mayfield, East Sussex, it became possible to examine and record a floor-slab to members of the Penkherst/Penkhurst family of ironmasters of Coushopley Furnace in the same parish. The last time that this slab was studied was by William Courthope in the 1840s, when he had had, so he wrote, to consult Sir William Burrell's notes in the British Museum in order to complete the transcription.

Field Notes: Two bloomery sites in Mayfield, East Sussex, compiled by J. S. Hodgkinson, published 2003 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 23, report, pp.2-6, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506570]   Download PDF

The Registers of Mayfield and Wadhurst, by Maurice Packham, published September 2003 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 15 no. 7, article, pp.309-311) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15249] & The Keep [LIB/508827] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.

Field Notes: A Romano-British domed bloomery furnace in Mayfield, East Sussex, compiled by J. S. Hodgkinson, published 2004 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 24, report, pp.2-5, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506571]   Download PDF

Field Notes: Bloomery slag in Mayfield, East Sussex, compiled by J. S. Hodgkinson, published 2005 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 25, report, pp.2-9, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/506572]   Download PDF

Little Furnace Wood, Mayfield, East Sussex : archaeomagnetic analysis of three iron-working features, by Mark J. Noel, published 2008 (Research department report series, 27-2008, iii + 12 pp., English Heritage) accessible at: British Library

Mayfield, Historic Character Assessment Report, compiled by Roland B. Harris, published April 2008 (Sussex Extensive Urban Survey (EUS), 39 pp. + appendices, E.S.C.C., W.S.C.C. & Brighton and Hove City, funded by English Heritage)   Download PDF

Replacement Borehole, Coggins Mill Replacement Borehole, Coggins Mill, Coggins Mill Lane, Mayfield (NGR: TQ59602785) - watching brief report, by James McNicoll-Norbury, published November 2008 (Reading: Thames Valley Archaeological Services)   View Online

Mayfield, St. Dunstan - Church monuments, edited by Nigel Llewellyn, published 2011 in East Sussex Church Monuments, 1530-1830 (Sussex Record Society, vol. 93, pp.228-234, ISBN-10: 0854450750 & ISBN-13: 9780854450756) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 17926] & The Keep [LIB/500470][LIB/507876] & West Sussex Libraries & East Sussex Libraries   View Online

The early Kenward family of Mayfield and nearby parishes, by John Howes, published March 2011 in Sussex Family Historian (vol. 19 no. 5, article, pp.236-243) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 15860] & The Keep [LIB/508846] & CD SFH40 from S.F.H.G.
Preview:
One of my maternal great-grandmothers was Mary Ann Elizabeth KENWARD, born in Burstow, Surrey in 1862 where she was buried in 1947. Although her immediate family was all from Surrey her roots were in Sussex. Her grandfather, Josiah KENWARD was christened in Fletching on 4 June 1775, one of at least 13 children born to Richard and Ann KENWARD. Sometime between the christening of Daniel KENWARD on 21 January 1780 in Fletching and the christening of Sarah KENWARD on 2 December 1781, Richard and Ann moved from Fletching to Lingfield. He was described as a fanner in his will and was probably the tenant at Felcourt Farm in Lingfield where his eldest surviving son, Richard was farming in 1841. Richard's ancestors had lived in Fletching since at least 1606 and can be accurately traced to another Richard KENWARD who married Joan ALLCHIN in Rotherfield on 8 May 1581. Less certain is the identification of this Richard as one christened in neighbouring Framfield on 11 February 1542/3 and possibly a descendent of the Robert KENWARD who died there in 1539 as discussed below.

Argos Post Mill, by Bob Bonnett, published 2013 in Sussex Industrial History (issue no. 43, article, pp.19-24, ISSN: 0263-5151) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 16389/43] & The Keep [LIB/507840]   Download PDF
  • Past, Present and Future
  • Evaluation of the Cross-trees by Resistograph Technology

Old Mill Cottage, Newick Lane, Mayfield (NGR: TQ5890624415) - watching brief report, by Felicity Howell, published August 2013 (Reading: Thames Valley Archaeological Services)   View Online

The location of Mayfield Finery Forge, published 2016 in Wealden Iron Research Group (Second Series No. 36 (Part I), report, ISSN: 0266-4402) accessible at: The Keep [LIB/509249]

St Dunston, Mayfield, published (no date) (pamphlet, St Dunstan's Mayfield) accessible at: W.S.R.O. [Lib 11729]

Mayfield Parish Register, published (no date) by the Sussex Family History Group and Parish Register Transcription Society (Ref: SXE80, CD-ROM)
Abstract:
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1571-1812. Vol. 80 transcribed by SFHG member Beverly Roth (USA),